Electromagnetic survey on UK property?

If you're buying or selling, tell others about it here. Or ask other owners for advice.
Mountain Goat

Electromagnetic survey on UK property?

Post by Mountain Goat »

Some friends in Sussex are selling their property, but the buyers have asked for an 'electromagnetic survey', due to nearby electrical pylons.

Is anyone clued up on this?

MG
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Ooh no, never heard of it but we live near pylons too and would be very interested is such a survey. Only thing I know is that you're better off downwind of them! :shock: (Which we are fortunately 8) )
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I've found this outfit, but I guess there are stacks. I really needed to know whether it was a load of cobblers or not.

MG
Martha

Post by Martha »

I did this with a property we were looking at which had a substation underneath it. I rented a thing like a geiger counter from somewhere and it was shrieking when next to the wall near the substation.

It might make a difference, it might not, but if you're trying to sell your house when there's a scare on, it would be a nightmare. The link has, as far as I know, never been satisfactorily proved, but a lot of people don't want to take chances, especially families concerned about their kids' health. And if it *was* ever proved to link to illness clusters, you'd be in a proper pickle.

We paid about £50 to rent the thing, so it would be a lot cheaper. I'll try and dig the link out for you.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Thanks, Martha, that's helpful. If you do dig out the link, I'll pass it on.

MG
Martha

Post by Martha »

Here you go. In spite of the vague whiff of conspiracy theory/tinfoil hats that surrounds the subject, I found them to be helpful, informative and friendly.

http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

It's on its way - much appreciated, Martha. I think, if I had a choice, I'd avoid nearby powerlines as well...

MG