cotton bags

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?

This ad on a bag thing

Poll ended at Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:17 pm

is purely genius
17%
is a mildly good idea
67%
is simply crap
17%

Total votes: 18

Aldo

cotton bags

Post by Aldo »

Have been thinking a lot about this one lately, a bag to use and re-use for shopping with a design that is pleasant enough to want to appear in public with. Can give it to guests as a give-away before they leave. A subtle URL on the side is all you need if the design makes it a must have. What do you people think? Have you thought of anything on the same lines? Are there any places that do a good quality bag with personalised print?
Martha

Post by Martha »

I'm looking into it at the moment, for the summer. They've stopped giving away plastic bags in the supermarkets here so it seems like a really useful giveaway. I am expecting some samples from
scoop-leisure.co.uk/cotton.htm
and am also getting a number from a local deli that has really nice ones - I'll pass it on if you're interested

Also these look interesting
http://www.supreme-creations.co.uk/webshop/index1.html
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Thank you Martha. That would be very useful.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We have just done this. Unbleached, organic cotton with our logo, which includes URLs in both languages on the side. We ordered 500 and they cost best part of a Euro each but we thought they were worth it for several reasons. I can give you details of our supplied (in Germany), if it's of any use to you.

(I have no idea how to insert an image!)[/img]
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Thank you Margaret. Any other addresses of suppliers would be useful.

To insert image you must do as follows but you must have the image on-line first:

Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I love 'em - I have tons that I've gotten as freebies from various companies...big ones, little ones, tan, navy...have quite a few colors now over the years - the only thing I can say is that I really pay no attention what-so-ever to the advertising on them...and I doubt anyone else does either or would ever jot down the url ;-) if they saw me in the market. They certainly make nice guest "gifts" though to remember the stay.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

We looked into it, but at the lower end of the price-range, the bags were useless for any reasonable quantity of shopping.

The toughest ones we've found are Waitrose (UK) - nice thick handles, simply styled and tough enough for any shopping - we also use them for lugging logs around. Sure, I know, why advertise a Brit supermarket, but they've become a must-have with the Swiss checkout ladies in the Coop.....

MG
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

None of the big supermarket chains in France have supplied free plastic bags now for years, and they all have big sturdy and some quite nice bags for sale for about 0,6€. I leave a few of these in each house so customers don't have to buy them but many like them, buy their own and take them home as they are very practical bags too have. I haven't looked into providing my own with my own logo, that's a nice idea.
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

What a great idea they sell attractive cotton bags very cheaply in Turkey and I even know someone that makes them. I wonder if they could hand sew the name of our villa and url will look into this on my next trip over. What about knitted slipper socks I seem to get tons of these given to me each year as they seem to be the mother in laws favourite hobby.

I had never thought of leaving a small traditional gift but its giving me all sorts of ideas as mum in law and the other women in her village hand make all sorts of things, the bags, turkish lace, prayer mats etc etc. They also produce the most wonderful olive oil nearby I wonder if I could get some personalised bottles, wait perhaps I should just open up a shop!
Always Learning
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

I've no idea about the bags http://www.water4fish.co.uk/department/ ... ection.php

but I have bought pens from them in the past & their service has been good