Furnishing a new appartment

For topics that are specific to Portugal, please go here.
Delmonte

Furnishing a new appartment

Post by Delmonte »

Hi

We live in the UK and are just completing on a new apartment in the Algarve and wondered if anyone had advice/experience on kitting it out with furniture, TV etc.

We have been looking at companies offering furniture packages but these seem quite expensive.

Thanks in advance

Derrick
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Derrick,

Yes, I know the feeling of how daunting that may seem to begin with, but its not nearly as bad as you fear.

We were lucky enough to have bought second hand, so our Villa came fully furnished - but with real grotty "rental furniture" so we've had to upgrade gradually over the years.

If you're looking for a "package", you could try talking to the developers themselves. Its very common to buy fully furnished in the Algarve, so they may well have the resources, but probably at a price and questionable choice.

If you want to do it yourself, here are a few options:

1. Head off to the Algarve Shopping retail park at Guia where there are a number of furniture and home stores all within a couple of yards of one another. You'll find English is widely spoken, delivery is easy to arrange but be prepared to spend a long time doing it all.
2. Across the road from Algarve shopping is the Makro cash & Carry, where you can even get a card on the spot. Also good for bedding, towels, white goods, audio etc.
3. A trip to Seville is only 2.5 hours away to the familiar IKEA but you'll probably want to hire a van, or if you can get hold of a copy of The Resident, I've seen a small ad in there from an outfit who will do a complete IKEA shop and deliver for you. Send me a PM with email contact and I may be able to hunt that out for you in a couple of weeks.

All in all, its not nearly as scary as it may seem. There are literally thousands of English home owners doing exactly the same as you and the availability of stores catering to this market has grown exponentially in the last 5 years.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Marg

Furnishing a new apartment

Post by Marg »

Another shop worth considering for furniture is Moviflor in Olhao. We spent nearly a day there and ordered lounge, dining room, beds and bedroom furniture. They have a very large range on display - no white goods though.
Check out their website www.moviflor.pt
We placed the order in the June when we were out in Portugal and organised delivery for the beginning of Sept.which was when we were due for completion. Nearer the time we organised the exact date and all the items of furniture arrived on the arranged day - quite a first for Portugal!

It was all very exciting!
e-richard

Re: Furnishing a new apartment

Post by e-richard »

Yes, we liked Moviflor as well. I think they have a branch at Algarve Shopping too. ?
Marg wrote: all the items of furniture arrived on the arranged day - quite a first for Portugal!
Yes, indeed. Whether its builders, workman start day, or delivery there are always 2 dates in Portugal. The date on the contract and the date something happens. They rarely coincide so its wise to always make contingency plans.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Delmonte

Furnishing new apartment

Post by Delmonte »

Thanks for your replies. It does seem a bit daunting at the moment. We'll have a look around the shops you mentioned next time we are there and in the meantime speak to the developers to see what they have to offer

Thanks

Derrick
teba18

Post by teba18 »

There are lots of places in vicinity of Vale do Lobo, Vilamoura etc - depends where your place is and how much you want to spend! If you like teak, you'll be in shopping heaven!
I have the name somewhere of people who'll bring stuff for you from Ikea - if/when I can lay my hands on it I'll post here.
firstgreen

Post by firstgreen »

As mentioned there are plenty of options at Algarve shopping (Guia) and there is also the retail park at Portimao.

We decided it was cheaper to buy from next in the UK and ship.

Good luck with the shopping - not an experience I enjoyed and it never stops as something usually needs replacing.