Mid Stay Cleaning

If you're buying or selling, tell others about it here. Or ask other owners for advice.
Jenroy

Mid Stay Cleaning

Post by Jenroy »

This has been our first year and a very eventful introduction to letting our villa (see previous posts) and I will post an update in a couple of weeks when our latest guests leave. However one of the issues we would like feedback on is whether a mid stay clean are expected or should be provided for stays in excess of one week.

Do others just provide a change of sheets/towels or do you provide a full clean and restock toilet rolls etc?

I can see advantages and disadvantages, but wonder whether as the guests have taken the villa over as their home for two weeks whether the cleaner would be seen as an intrusion. Furthermore with the cleaner only available at the usual changeover time do the guests want to choose the day and time?
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

For bookings of at least 2 weeks, we offer a change of towels plus change of bedding and clean half way through. Last summer I also offered a change of towels to people staying 10-12 days but somehow it got forgotten this year. When we have done a mid stay clean it has always been at a time to suit guests.

We only had one full 2 week booking this year. They accepted the change of towels but didn't want to bother with the clean/bedlinen change. Next year I am thinking of offering it as included in the rental, perhaps for shorter bookings too, but offering something like a 50 Euro discount if they pass on the cleaning and bedlinen change.

I can't say that anyone has asked for clean towels this year. We offer free swimming towels for them to borrow so that they don't have to use the bath towels. We automatically give out free extra loo rolls if guests ask for them but most buy extra themselves if they need them.
Rocket Rab

Re: Mid Stay Cleaning

Post by Rocket Rab »

Jenroy wrote: Do others just provide a change of sheets/towels or do you provide a full clean and restock toilet rolls etc?
Hi Jenroy,

I think you might find some useful discussion about this on a few other threads scattered around LMH.

I provide a weekly change of sheets/towels, but don't clean or restock mid-stay. Sometimes I leave enough linens for the full 2 weeks, sometimes I have to drop by and leave them mid-stay. I always ring beforehand to check this is ok and it is not unusual for guests to tell me they're fine, and don't want/need any fresh stuff. So, either I have very considerate guests with modest requirements or some people just want to be left to get on with their hols.. When I leave enough bed linen for the mid-stay change I quite often return at the end of the holiday to find it hasn't been used.

I'm torn on the advantages/disadvantages of a mid-stay clean: it allows you to keep an eye on your property, certainly, but it can also give you good reason for a week of worry until departure day :wink: :roll:
Last edited by Rocket Rab on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Vive la Difference:

In our part of the world its quite normal to offer regular maid service. Ours comes in 3 time a week. She rings the bell and lets herself in, mops and vacuums throughout. Cleans kitchen and all bathrooms and changes and washes towels and sheets as needed.

She is an absolute gem, and it almost irks me that she gets more positive reviews in the guestbook than any other feature of the holiday 8)
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

e-richard wrote: In our part of the world its quite normal to offer regular maid service. Ours comes in 3 time a week. She rings the bell and lets herself in, mops and vacuums throughout. Cleans kitchen and all bathrooms and changes and washes towels and sheets as needed.
I think this is great, and if I were on hols, I'd definitely take it if offered! Bit like chocolate biscuits, I 'spose. To be eaten when handed round :lol:
Jenroy

Post by Jenroy »

I'm torn on the advantages/disadvantages of a mid-stay clean: it allows you to keep an eye on your property, certainly, but it can also give you good reason for a week of worry until departure day
Rocket Rab these are the exact thoughts I have.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

:lol: Sometimes, I'd just sooooooooo rather not know.....!
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I work with lots of different cleaners for lots of different properties and they all do different things...........

For my own place I leave extra linen and I put in the contract that 'there is linen there to be used if needed but to wash and replace please and only ever leave one set of linen for the cleaner at the end of the stay'

Seems to work and in 5 years haven't had a problem though I have heard of people using everyhting in sight and leaving it all for the cleaner, just hasn't happened with us so maybe I am just lucky! Other cleaners for other properties roll their eyes in horror when I say what works for me, generally they only leave one set there and take a second set round mid stay(but don't make up the beds or do a clean) and charge the guest for this.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Rocket Rab wrote::lol: Sometimes, I'd just sooooooooo rather not know.....!
Yes RR, that's how I feel :lol:

I think a lot depends on where you are situated, the type of property and the size. I cannot afford to give a mid stay clean as my prices are so low, but that is normal for apartments in my area. There is a note for guests to say if they want a clean/linen change, they can call my management team, but they have to pay 40€ for this. So far no-one has taken them up. Maybe because I have a washing machine and in southern spain it's easy to wash sheets and towels and they are dry 2 hours later :D

I do leave extra sheets and towels if I have a let of over two weeks though :wink:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Rocket Rab wrote::lol: Sometimes, I'd just sooooooooo rather not know.....!
Thats exactly what my maid tells me every time we have a chat about guests.

But she just "gets on with it" - "its her job" as she frequently reminds us.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yes I think offering a washing machine facility can make a difference to guests, or of course, the price they pay.

With 2 week guests we do almost what we do on a changeover (change bedding, towels, re-stock etc) the only thing I don't do is pay as much attention to the outdoor area or re-paint.

We also do a mid-week clean for one weekers, 2 hours cleaning, change of towels - but I don't re-stock anymore (loo roll useage was getting to the point of ridiculous...so now I leave enough for a week on the saturday and if they've gone through them so be it!)

I was thinking of giving up the mid week clean for 1 weekers but to be honest a) I'm more relaxed knowing how the property is being treated, b) I can stop things in their tracks...like smoking inside and c) the place gets so dirty with some people even in a couple of days that it would be horrendous leaving it a whole week!

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Mouse wrote: c) the place gets so dirty with some people even in a couple of days that it would be horrendous leaving it a whole week!
You're so much braver than I am, Mousie :lol:

Now take a deep breath, and imagine two weeks! No, maybe not: I have visions of you throwing up your hands in horror, pink handbag in the left one, tray of tapas in the right one....... :lol: Ooooh, the mess!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Now take a deep breath, and imagine two weeks! No, maybe not: I have visions of you throwing up your hands in horror, pink handbag in the left one, tray of tapas in the right one....... Ooooh, the mess!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Trouble is RR...I'm a virgo to boot...so I have horrendously ridiculous standards :P :shock:

So in reality I just gossip with the cleaners; we all stand around tutting :lol:
There's nothing like a good tut :D

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Mouse wrote: There's nothing like a good tut :D
I couldn't imagine a Saturday morning starting without a good tut, Mousie, preferably with a fortifying espresso and croissant, too...
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

nope. I don't. I leave plenty of toilet paper ;-) for the couple weeks and an extra set of sheets and towels; no one has seemed to mind.