Let's settle this outside?

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
Mountain Goat

Let's settle this outside?

Post by Mountain Goat »

I know suggestions for extra LMH sections go down like a lead balloon with our leader, but couldn't we have an extra area if one wants a good fight; intellectual or otherwise?

Wasn't there a Monthy Python sketch where some guy set up shop so you could have a good argument? No. Yes there was. No there wasn't etc.

It would have to be Members Only of course, and could maybe run alongside the long-mooted Flog-anything-here-without-restriction thread.

When a thread got dodgy, with the usual suspects, then other LMHers could just ask them to step Outside? Maybe even take a ringside view?

MG
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Far better for a mod to step in and lock or delete the thread/posts.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Why? It messes the thread up entirely for everyone else, especially if you want to discuss, er, for instance, what is a scratched saucepan and how culprits are brought to justice. We may never know.

And Mods do make some eccentric decisions.

MG
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Mountain Goat wrote:And Mods do make some eccentric decisions.
MG
I think our Mods do a pretty good job. If an original posting and the response it generates need to be removed then they remove them.

Alan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Well, that's very true; there are plenty of examples of reasonable postings and some very inappropriate replies (probably made late at night and hopefully regretted in the clear light of day).

Remove the inappropriate reply, especially if it's offensive, and let the thread continue on its way would perhaps be one solution.

MG
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I do add new sections when there is a groundswell of demand, rather than one voice, like Alpine and Members Only.

I am not sure that it would be a good idea to have a gloves-off section, it would just get personal between various members here who know how to push each others' buttons, and I think that would carry over into the rest of the forum.

But I am open to other views.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

paolo wrote:I do add new sections when there is a groundswell of demand, rather than one voice, like Alpine and Members Only.

I am not sure that it would be a good idea to have a gloves-off section, it would just get personal between various members here who know how to push each others' buttons, and I think that would carry over into the rest of the forum.

But I am open to other views.
I think your current practice of removing the original offensive message together with the reply which also causes offence is the right one.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I think it could be interesting, as long as there was a reasoned debate which didn't descend into anglo saxon vulgarity when posters are clearly 'tired and emotional'.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Are we kicking off already?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

I use a subscription UK conferencing system & the 'Red Mist' Forum is about the most entertaining.
"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."

Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

SnowHeads forum has an 'Abuse Zone' hidden even to regular posters, and only visible if an admin decides to activate it.
You are only given access to it for 24 hours, to get the argument out of the system, then the thread is deleted and the abuse zone closed.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Helen,

Do you think this system is helpful in terms of getting everything out in the open, bad feelings purged, clearing the air, and people interacting normally again elsewhere?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

paolo wrote:Helen,

Do you think this system is helpful in terms of getting everything out in the open, bad feelings purged, clearing the air, and people interacting normally again elsewhere?
I know my name isn't Helen, but IMHO no but it's very entertaining to watch
"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."

Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Paolo, I have just checked the Abuse Zone, as I am a moderator so can see it all the time, but the last post was in 2006 so it hasn't been used for a while. Reading through the 10 page thread that hasn't been deleted (there was a reason it was kept, lost in time). It seems as if it settles things down for a while, but as as rule it is the same bunch of people who are invited back into the abuse zone. We would be more likely to mow the thread these days. A couple of the abuse zone regulars have left the forum, and one of them has been banned.
pete

Post by pete »

I am sure there is more to the question than meets the reader, I am not savvy/techie enough to find the 'private forum' that has been mentioned or know what 'red mist' is, or if they are the same, but I am of the opinion (for what its worth) that this forum offers what it says - discuss holiday rental issues etc .... for political and general views there are other platforms and if you want them,then you can find them. Personally I like it here and can respect the views and advice offered, but they are in context with the forum.

still thinking it out pete