Let's settle this outside?

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Call me a 'stick-in-the-mud' or 'kill joy'

but

If two forum users want to 'take off the gloves' and go and have a slanging match somewhere, can they not do this by PM ?

I personally have no desire to either take part in, or encourage others to, slide into the gutter of personal attacks and derision.

I'm with Pete. There are plenty of other forums for political and other debate.

We already have healthy debates here about Holiday rentals and associated topics.

I have no intention of joining the 'Big Brother Brigade' and if ringside seats are offered I for one won't be buying.

Wishing you all a pleasantly calm, relaxed, stress free evening :D
Ray
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Holiday Ray wrote:
If two forum users want to 'take off the gloves' and go and have a slanging match somewhere, can they not do this by PM ?
That would be logical. Unfortunately, like nudists who can't simply take off their kit in private but who feel an overwhelming urge to display their dangly bits to the rest of us, forum scrappers love to kick and gouge in the spotlight. The poor old thread which, until that point, had been chugging happily along, usually grinds to a halt because the rest of us can't be arsed to wade through all the unpleasant stuff.

I enjoy (and sometimes learn from) the occasional stormy exchanges on the 'big issues' of renting in particular and life in general on LMH. But only when ideas are being contested, it doesn't get 'personal' and members behave (as the vast majority do) with courtesy and mutual respect.

Jim
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Couldn't have put it better myself Jim (In fact I didn't)

And I do like the nudist analogy, excellent stuff :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ray
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Just read this thread and I'm with Jimbo and Pete. I can't see the point of slugging it out over anything. Having a debating thread on issues of the day without abuse, is a different matter, but like Pete, I use the forum to learn how to manage our property and for a bit of chit chat and don't find the need.

Chianti
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I thought you quite enjoyed slugging it out, Chianti, I've had more than one 'debate' with you(s?) in the past.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

La Vache

I think you are confused debate is one thing, abuse is quite another. I admire the former, while I believe you prefer the latter.

Now leave it alone :!:

Chianti
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

LV, have you always had an exclamation mark after your name? Or is this a new, uncompromising image you're trying out?

MG
olive

Post by olive »

MG, you can't say "LV" in French without the exclamation mark - unless you mean something different. LV! never wanted to be a (L)V
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Chianti wrote:La Vache

I think you are confused debate is one thing, abuse is quite another. I admire the former, while I believe you prefer the latter.
Chianti
I've never even been so much as reprimanded for 'abuse' on this forum, so I suggest you get your facts right before you post things like that in future.

MG, olive is right, the exclamation mark should always have been there. Despite what some people think on this forum, I'm not really a cow.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Susan,

I thought this thread had calmed down a week ago but it seems that one or two members would like to resurrect it.

I readily admit that I am one who is prepared to confront others particularly on matters of fact. Like Olive I’m prepared to ask “what is your source for saying what you say?” and “which law are you quoting from?”. We rarely get an answer.

I’ve never been officially “reprimanded” but on occasion I have been asked by Paolo to moderate the way in which I express myself. I fully endorse the way in which Paolo moderates this Forum and I don’t recall ever taking issue with Paolo on any of his decisions.

I’m not trying to wind anybody up but I think this whole scenario is terribly simple. For some people, if you agree with them you are “debating” with them and if you disagree with them you are “abusing” them.

Alan
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

I’m not trying to wind anybody up but I think this whole scenario is terribly simple. For some people, if you agree with them you are “debating” with them and if you disagree with them you are “abusing” them.

Alan

Couldn't agree less. A debate has to have 2 points of view or sides, if you like and debating matters trivial or important is healthy and can be beneficial, while abuse or personal comments are not.

Chianti

added

Just thought, I know why this matter suits this section of the forum. Anyone who abuses does have a serious technical problem with their brain but Paolo can't help with that.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Chianti wrote:quote

Alan

Couldn't agree less. A debate has to have 2 points of view or sides, if you like and debating matters trivial or important is healthy and can be beneficial, while abuse or personal comments are not.

Chianti

added

Just thought, I know why this matter suits this section of the forum. Anyone who abuses does have a serious technical problem with their brain but Paolo can't help with that.
Your “added” is nothing but personal abuse.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Neat quote from the Grauniad this week, from Jon Blyth (his own blog, disappointment.com isn't everyone's cup of tea - you have been warned):

In real life, internet forums have always been a battle between earnest, pompous farts and hateful, gurgling babies - and the sincere ones always lose..........the only way to feel like you've beaten a child is to be even more unreasonable and childish yourself.

Maybe that's how the thousands(?) of guests on this forum see us?

MG
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Neat quote from Dave Barry arrived with today's emails.

The internet is a giant international network of intelligent, informed computer enthusiasts. By which I mean, ‘people without lives’. We don't care. We have each other.

Hmmm. Given the choice between being an EPF and a HGB, I'd say the HGB shades it for me.

Jim