1905 Ski Graffiti

For topics that are specific to mountain locations, please go here.
Mountain Goat

1905 Ski Graffiti

Post by Mountain Goat »

This was a gem of a postcard found recently, showing the start of the bobsleigh run in Leysin around 1905, and it's my current favourite.

There's so much detail, which can't be shown here because of a naff scanner, but unbeatable are those guys with the logos on their sweatshirts next to the rather staid ladies - reading Pick Me Up (were they Brits?) - the other guy's logo is Quo Vadis.

Remember this was over 100 years ago, and beyond poignant - everyone in the image, even the kids, are long gone....

Pick Me Up Image and Quo Vadis Image

snow gear Image cool? Imagecheerleader?Image

MG
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Wed May 21, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rocket Rab

Re: 1905 Ski Graffiti

Post by Rocket Rab »

Mountain Goat wrote: Remember this was over 100 years ago, and beyond poignant - everyone in the image, even the kids, are long gone....
A great addition to your collection, MG.
You're right, it is poignant. Little point in fretting about anything, really, is there? :)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Wonderful photo, MG, you don't see many moustaches like that of 'Mr Cool"anymore. And yes, it makes you think, we aren't really around for that long, so better make the most of it...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Mountain Goat wrote:
Remember this was over 100 years ago, and beyond poignant - everyone in the image, even the kids, are long gone....
So many photographs become more interesting and important as they age. Sadly, many wonderful photographic archives are dumped in skips when the photographer dies. It's only when we catch a brief glimpse of a tatty print or a dog-eared postcard in a junk shop, that we have a hint of what's been lost for ever.

For me - and beyond sadness - are abandoned family photo albums. That nobody cares enough, or there's nobody left to treasure these albums and keep them safe, always brings me to the edge of tears.

Jim
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Great photo MG - was that another ebay.ch or ebay.fr find ?

It's re-energised me to try and seek out some for Villars.

:lol:

Beanie