Building Plot close to St.Malo/St.Suliac.

If you're buying or selling, tell others about it here. Or ask other owners for advice.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Alan Knighting wrote:and French land prices anywhere outside the Gers are still higher.
Image Oh Alan, you are a one!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

But as this thread illustrates, land values vary widely, not just by departement, but within that from village to village, according to how "desirable" they are. Building land in my Languedoc village is currently over €160 per sq mtr, in another village a few km away, it's maybe €130, perhaps because it's not so well-situated, or it doesn't have the shops and so forth.

It's very difficult to draw any consistent rules from this - to return to absolute basics, it's worth what someone will pay.

Moliere
Gastines

Post by Gastines »

Regarding land prices I only have a little knowledge of the area around us but do study the Immo paper on each Wednesday to see what's available.I will add that in 21 years of marriage we are on our 14th home,4th in this region. If our plot was on the other side of our front road,the D117, the price would have been well over 120K e.There is a modern 4bed house just around the corner on the market for 540Ke and most new houses in the surrouding area are in the 250-350ke mark even on estates. We have been after a place for some time but hardly anything comes up for sale around here. Obviously with family inheritance issues, most houses stay within the family. I have noted that a few have come on the market at St.Suliac lately and one French owner has said that some older property owners are cashing in while the going is good. I believe that as we have the TGV to St.Malo. Dinard airport plus the terrific amount of business/commercial developements going on in the area,that things won't go down.
However ,we look upon this as our home and luckily as bought at the right time,we will be able to keep a roof over our heads for a few more years.
The dream of some, myself included, to own a decent sized house with some land rather than a box in UK with a postage stamp garden and the costs of keeping it, appeals to most of us but the reality of keeping a large tract of land/garden up together, can soon become something of a strain particularly with advancing years,and as members will know involves a bit more than sitting with a glass of vin rouge.
Each house we have bought here we have moved nearer to St.Malo as we realise the advantages of having everything nearby not only in fuel costs but whatever we want from a bun to the tax office to the beach is only a few minutes away, plus if there is a need to return to UK for family we have a wide choice of ferries and air.
Regards.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Gastine,

Joan would eventually like to move to somewhere very near the sea. She would like to get out of the rental business, dispense with having a large garden and never own a swimming pool again.

Ideally Joan will finish up in your part of Brittany so keep talking.

Alan
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Alan,

How does Prestatyn grab you?

Views to Snowdonia, 5 minutes to the sea, reasonable garden etc etc

Bobby
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Bobby wrote:Alan,

How does Prestatyn grab you?

Views to Snowdonia, 5 minutes to the sea, reasonable garden etc etc

Bobby
Sorry Bobby but it doesn’t grab me at all, not even by the short and curlies.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Well done Gastines, it is a lovely area and I'm not surprised it sold quickly. If I had more money, I'd love to buy a couple of little properties up around the Rance and rent them out instead, but it is way out of my price range!
Another hot, sunny day here, I've spent it on the beach near Dinard, fantastic! I even had a swim in the sea.
Is it still raining South of the Loire? 8)
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

La Vache wrote:Is it still raining in the South of France? 8)
Off and on although the temperatures in the shade are still over 20°C. The weather patterns across Europe are upside-down at the moment but they’ll correct themselves shortly.

Alan
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Sorry Bobby but it doesn’t grab me at all, not even by the short and curlies.
Shame that, but worth a try :oops:

Brittany, the new Med, eh LV 8) :wink: 8)

Bobby
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Bobby wrote: Brittany, the new Med, eh LV 8) :wink: 8)

Bobby
It was nice while it lasted (I think we revert to being cold and cloudy tomorrow Bobby...)
But anyway, the pool is too hot to be refreshing now, so could do with cooling down a touch. And hopefully the rain will wash away some of the pig slurry that the farmers have been spraying rather liberally over the maize the last couple of days and we will be able to hang out the washing again without it ending up smelling of eau de lisier.
Ju

Post by Ju »

It has been beautiful here all week. It hit 30C yesterday (in the shade) then we had a great thunder storm yesterday evening. Back to clear skies today.

I love it when it's like this!! :D
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Ju wrote:It has been beautiful here all week. It hit 30C yesterday (in the shade) then we had a great thunder storm yesterday evening.
I'd rather have the hot sunny weather with a lovely breeze, but not over 27°c and definitely without the thunderstorms. The last one a month or so ago grilled my router and I've also had problems with the ADSL ever since.
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

(I think we revert to being cold and cloudy tomorrow Bobby...)
Shhhhhh, I know! Possibly OK until Friday though.
Gastines

Post by Gastines »

Now for sale again. After upping their offer 3 times to an acceptable level, the buyers,spelt bu--ers,have now changed their minds. Looks like I'll have to build on it myself. I need a project for next year.
Regards.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

That's disappointing Gastines, I'm sorry - but everything happens for a reason and you may yet have your family as neighbours by the sounds of it, which would be a bonus! Good luck with the project. At least this way you'll have full control of what goes up on the plot.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be