WiFi for guests

For topics that are specific to Italy, please go here.
Chianti

WiFi for guests

Post by Chianti »

Does anyone have WiFi set up? We would like to install it, but don't know what equipment to purchase, how easy it is to instal and what problems may be encountered due to both my thick brain and our thick walls?

Can anyone help please.

Chianti
bob_day

Post by bob_day »

We have WiFi available in both our rental homes in Florida and Spain.

In the US we use the router provided by the ISP, have security enabled and leave it on all the time. We give our guests the WEP key along with alarm codes, keybox codes etc when they pay the balance.

In Spain I took over an old LinksysWRT45G that I had no further use for in the UK. I configured it so there was no security, i.e open access. However the router is left unplugged when there are no guests in residence. They have a choice of wired connection by simply plugging the ethernet cable into their PC, or wireless by plugging the router into the mains and waiting a minute or so for it to boot up and be ready.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We also use a router provided by our broadband provider, always on. The networl name and password are in the guest information file. As we are on site, we also have a PC permanently available for guests without their own laptop with them.

As reception is poor in one of the apartments, we are planning to do something to boost that. We have tried a range extender but it has not so far worked. It has been suggested to us that we should us a booster system through the electric sockets. Does anyone have experience of this.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Margaret wrote: It has been suggested to us that we should us a booster system through the electric sockets. Does anyone have experience of this.
I've just been through this. I had to have it done as the wifi signal I have got through to the gite next door, but not to the two further gites, due to the metre thick walls seperating the cottages. I tried boosters, they didn't work, so in the end the technicians hard wired from the router through to the two other gites via the attics. Each gite now has it's own wifi terminal and it all works perfectly. It wasn't cheap, but it will be cheaper in the long run than paying for another adsl line and subscription, which was the only alternative.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Thanks everyone, that helps a bit. The local supplier told me it was easy to install the router, but I'm still a bit confused, even after reading the other threads which include Wifi. Where does the router get placed, next to your computer or in your rental property?

What's the reason for the security, so others can't get access to your computer, or so they can't use your service when within range?

Again thanks

Chianti
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Chianti, router needs to be connected to your telephone line, but not necessarily your computer, if you have a wireless connection.
Security is for both.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Has to be next to the phone socket as far as I know. Your computer is nothing to do with it once it is all set up. Your computer can log onto to the WiFi the same as everyone else. (I use the cable between my computer and the router because it is faster for accessing the internet than the WiFi). The router is just a transmitter which sends the signal for people to log onto.
The security, apart from the security angle, is so that you don't get the whole neighbourhood logging on and slowing things up.
I think.
Actually, I have only got into all this myself in the last few weeks so I am using this to check with other more knowledgeable people that I have got it right - or not!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Chianti, I'd keep the router in your home. The router has to be connected to a telephone socket and an electric socket. Personally, I don't have mine secured because none of my neighbours have got computers and the neither have the cows, so no-one is likely to slow the network down.
enid

Post by enid »

LV I'd be interested in the cost if you could pm me. I have boosters and it works most of the time!
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Gosh that explains a lot, but why the need for boosters and where do they go?

The same goes for here in regards to security we've only 1 silly cow, the rest are sheep :roll:

Chianti
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Uhmm - cows aren't silly, Chianti.
First, see if you can get a signal in your rental house without a booster. There is no point in buying one if it isn't necessary. I didn't need one to get coverage in the house next door, or the garden. If you get a good router (Netgear, for example) you probably won't need a booster if you only need coverage within 15m, even if there is a thick wall between the two properties.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

[quote="La Vache"]Uhmm - cows aren't silly, Chianti.

Not your kind, I agree, I was thinking of a neighbour. :roll:

That explains everything and is so helpful. I guessed that the booster was just that, but just wanted to fully understand all of the equipment.

End of confusion.

Thanks so much

Chianti
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

It has been suggested to us that we should us a booster system through the electric sockets. Does anyone have experience of this.
We used these at our house -- they do work. If you have a spare outlet near your internet connection, you can extend your wifi to any other outlet.

When we bought ours, the technology was fairly new, and it wasn't exactly cheap. But it was cheaper than re-wiring the house for internet! :)
Brooke
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

We just had to wire through the attic due to the length of the building, around 30m. There were three 1 metre walls to get through to reach the end gite, I'm sure most people would have a far easier job. It was the hardest installation the company had ever done and they do a lot of schools and businesses, but the thick granite walls really did pose a problem.
PaulRed

Post by PaulRed »

A little off subject, maybe, but I thought some of you may make use of this as another service for your guests. If you have an old PC why not network them and create a cyber cafe type access for your guests to use. I have done a similar thing at home for our foster children who have a PC in their rooms but when I don't want them to be on the internet all of the time. I used a package called Cybercafe pro and if you only have 2 PC's (clients) the trial software comes for free!

You can give accounts, sell internet time or give it away free, but control what access they have to the PC's you allow them to use.

I thought that this might be of use to some of you, maybe?

PM me if you want to know more!