Do Press Releases Work?

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
cottageguru

Do Press Releases Work?

Post by cottageguru »

Has anyone any experience of using an online Press Release site? Like PRWeb Direct - http://www.prwebdirect.com or News Wire Today http://www.newswiretoday.com or anything similar?
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
ravetildon
Location: I love Travel! - We Are Based Around San Francisco, California

info

Post by ravetildon »

I mainly use the online press release sites to get more links to my web site.
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

So, how do you do that? Which do you use? Any that are more effective than others?
Heather

www.cottageblogger.com
ravetildon

info

Post by ravetildon »

The 2 sites above are great. All you do is submit the press releases to them. Other sites reproduce the Press releases. Links start coming.

They also give you stats about how many sites picked up your release.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I've just started doing this, and it seems to be working well for my linkage.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Are you guys talking about free press release sites or paying ones by and large? :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Martha

Post by Martha »

The free ones...
I don't use it really to do stuff about the chalet per se - more to re-purpose useful info about Chamonix that doesn't really belong on the site or any of the blogs, and to get the links to boost the site in Google. This is going well at the moment but as always it's hard to pin down exactly what's helping.

I've re-worked several posts on other forums into these! e.g. what's the best area of Chamonix to stay in, How to visit Chamonix on a budget etc.

You do need to be careful that you don't duplicate anything that's on your site, to avoid Google problems.

Who knows how it will go - I may find that people just take the article, which is always a risk, but most people seem to say it works well for them. This reminds me that I must do an article for Marcus too...
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

Martha - which free ones do you use? I get a tad confused because some of them come across as freebies then you realise they don't distribute unless you use the paid option.
Heather

www.cottageblogger.com
Martha

Post by Martha »

I've used Ezine
http://ezinearticles.com/

which isn't quite the same thing now I come to think about it, and am starting to use newswiretoday as well - which seems to be free?

I'd be interested to know how others have got on with it as it's very early days for me...
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I use ezinearticles and a Wordpress blog and both come up well on Google. But I would echo what others have started to say elsewhere: having the same text in different places does not necessarily cause you problems with Google. I always thought that it was identical pages that caused problems. There inevitable huge chunks of text appearing on different sites.

For example, for my publishing business, I regularly search for background information on large company press releases - and frequently find the same company press release quoted word for word on a great many sites.
ravetildon

info

Post by ravetildon »

A lot of the free press release sites aren't free anymore, at least the good ones.

They generally are worth it tho for all the free links you get. What is it $60.00 bucks?