Fires in Greece...

For topics that are specific to Greece, please go here.
Big Sis..

Fires in Greece...

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All :) ..

Can I just say Ive been watching the news :shock:
and my sympathy to all of you who might be caught up in this..what a real shame :( ....
Hope none of you are too badly affected..Take Carexx
Sara

Post by Sara »

Hello Ros

Thanks for your concern. We have our villa in the Peloponnese. At the moment the fires are far away but given that 200 fires have been started in the last 72 hours there is no guessing where the next one will be. Why on earth people want to start the fires I have no idea. It is frustrating to be away from our property although frankly I don't believe we would be able to save it if the fires come. I haven't phoned the family staying there this week as there is absolutely no danger at the moment and maybe they are living in ignorant bliss of what is happening.

I hope that noone else is affected by the fires.

Sara
enid

Post by enid »

Why on earth people want to start the fires I have no idea.
One theory I heard was that it was some kind of protest against perceived over development. Crazy way to protest if that's true - a terrible experience for everyone concerned.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Why on earth people want to start the fires I have no idea.
I do...Simple really..
Its cos theyre absolute idiots and have no concern for the loss of life that this sort of idiotic and reckless act will bring.....Shame on them :!:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

hear hear...and sadly the fires we suffer from almost always are started by locals (burning fields, burning sunbeds!) you think they'd know better!

Hope none break out near your place Sarah!

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Sara

Post by Sara »

My own theory is that the Government announced the elections suddenly with just 4 weeks notice (16th Sept is the date). All the opposition were in their luxury villas on the islands somewhere. There was no time for campaigning so what a way to destroy the government by making them seem inadequate in the face of an emergency. Faced with 200 fires what are they supposed to do??!! Already the opposition parties such as the communists and labour are asking for the election to be put back - a bit funny huh??

The deaths whilst tragic could have been avoided if the inhabitants of the affected areas had evacuated when told. They wanted to save their properties. When the flames are 100 metres high there is no chance of doing anything with a hosepipe and I can't believe they are refusing to be airlifted to safety by the rescue helicopters. Most distressing for me is the fact that they don't open the pens/cages/gates where their animals are kept to at least give them a chance. It is all terrible. Tonight we have the army patrolling the hills around Athens to try and prevent further arson attacks so very scary for us as we live in the suburbs on the mountain!

On a totally irrelevant note I have a farmer who has placed his bee hives 50 metres up the road from the villa and they are swarming around the pool shower and the air-con pipes. This has been going on for 6 weeks and does not make for very happy campers in my villa - oh what fun!!

Sara
JasmineEvs

Post by JasmineEvs »

I think that what is going on today in Greece is also very dangerous, like the fires from the past, I hope that they will pass the difficult situation, because tourists will not be calm travelling there with all these strikes...