Tried and tested...

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Sue Dyer

Tried and tested...

Post by Sue Dyer »

I thought it would be an idea to consolidate all of our tips on good products in a sticky.

Here are my recommendations:
Elna ironing press.
Expensive but a great time saver. Mine is about 5 years old and has paid for itself.

Vanish Oxy Multi Action
Does what it says on the label! This is the powder not the liquid that comes out pink and mixes up. The powder is fab for stains and removed a longstanding stain off a favourite garment I couldn't let go of, when all else had failed. I'm currently trying the one for whites.

Scotch Easy erasing pads
As recently discussed. Removes crayons, shoe scuff marks on paintwork etc.

Ikea Rubber backed bath mats
At 99p you can't go wrong. I have about a dozen to rotate.

Ikea "365" plain white china
Apparently this will always be in stock so excellent to replace the inevitable rental breakages

TJ Hughes http://www.tjhughes.co.uk/
Great for brand name bargains. They get in end of lines with stuff like Le Cruset, Typhoon etc

Lakeland www.lakeland.co.uk
Tons of great stuff. I have just bought a microwave saucepan. Clear plastic so doesn't stain when tomato based sauces are heated. Lid so it stops splatters.

Lots of reviews can be found at www.ciao.co.uk These are by real consumers although you can see the odd blatant plug which creeps in.

More please!!
Chianti

VANISH IS A BLESSING

Post by Chianti »

Sue

Your list is such a good idea.

I have never heard of most of the products on your list, but Vanish is an abolute must. It's saved me so many times !!!
Pity it doesn't work on the neighbours !!!!

Foppapedretti Ironing Board
I use it for ironing sheets, curtains, any large items. It's a huge help, worth it's weight in gold.

Polti Vaporello Iron
Which is a bit like a professional steam iron. I only use it for the sheets and large items. It beats a normal iron hands down.

Chianti
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

OK, here are my faves:

HG Mould Spray
Removes mould from showers, see this thead (with before and after pics on page two!!!):
viewtopic.php?t=4558

Waterproof Quilted Mattress Protectors
http://www.outofeden.co.uk/products-Wat ... 4_WPCD.htm
They really work and they are not sweaty and crinkly, in fact I now have one on my bed at home, just to be sure, to protect our new mattress.

OutofEden
"The source for all your hospitality essentials"! :lol:
www.OutOfEden.co.uk
I have bought loads of things from this catalogue....
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Polti Vaporetto iron gets my vote too.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Have you guys seen those quick boil "kettles"? My sis bought one and is taking it back. It doesn't boil water, just heats it up. Apparently is good for coffee but not for tea.

The ad had just been on TV and they are making tea with it. :roll: Gets bad reviews on Amazon too.

Just in case anyone was considering one. I was thinking of one for the energy saving but nothing worse than tea with not properly boiled water.
Chianti

REVIEWS SAID THE SAME

Post by Chianti »

Sue

I think I read about it online in The Daily Mail, but it was clearly stated that it didn't boil the water. Some types of kettles for offices are the same, if I remember correctly, the wall mounted ones & possibly the hot drinks machines, they don't boil the water for safety reasons. In the case of this kettle, it's in order to save energy, sod safety & energy saving, I like my drinks boiling hot, it certainly wouldn't do for me.

Chianti

At room temperature
NeatandPicky

Stardrops cleaning fluid

Post by NeatandPicky »

Would like to add Stardrops to the list. It's a cheap (67p for 600 ml in Asda and Wilkinson) multi-purpose cleaner which can be diluted or used neat.

From the bottle: baths, carpets, melamine, cars, china, floors, fridges, glassware, hand laundry, hobs, mirrors, paintwork, sinks, tiles, upholstery, washing-up, upvc windows and doors, work tops.

http://www.thorntonross.com/household/stardrops.html

Only recently discovered, but I'm so impressed I've become evangelical about it!
Giddy Goat

Re: Tried and tested...

Post by Giddy Goat »

Sue Dyer wrote:Vanish Oxy Multi Action
Does what it says on the label! This is the powder not the liquid that comes out pink and mixes up. The powder is fab for stains and removed a longstanding stain off a favourite garment I couldn't let go of, when all else had failed. I'm currently trying the one for whites.
Just tried it Sue - it worked a treat!

I know, stain removal on Christmas Eve? But with a glass of bubbly in one hand! :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
A-two

Oven liners

Post by A-two »

How to save cleaning the bottom of your oven!

EZ FOIL ALUMINUM OVEN LINERS 18-1/4" x 15-3/4"

Great for electric ovens, fits all standard US ovens. Available in Dollar stores in the US, or by mail order. Also on sale on eBay. Bulk buy for the season to save on shipping. $2 each (come in packs of 2). Slide under electric element to sit on floor of oven. Don't forget to buy enough for your own home as well!
Chambo

cleaning bathroom sealant

Post by Chambo »

I just tried 'alcool a bruler' (cleaning alcohol, like the stuff you can burn in camping stoves) to gid rid of that yellowy / pinky staining you get on bathroom sealant and it worked a treat! I just put some on some loo paper and rubbed off the stains.

Make sure you ventilate the room well - I'm pregnant and think I just had my fortnightly limit of alcohol (or whatever it is now) :roll: Dad said you couldn't buy it in the UK but it's good stuff.
Village holiday house, for large groups: Limousin, 30 minutes south of Limoges. http://www.vacvertes.com
https://www.facebook.com/VacancesVertes ... ef=tn_tnmn
www.chambers-maids-brecon.com
catherinedonegal

Post by catherinedonegal »

has anyone tried and tested the roller type iron presses? i was looking at one to buy for our rental house but not sure if they are worth it. i did have a flat press in our own house for years but like a lot of stuff it was cast aside after the initial novelty. the roller one though looks like it would be great for sheets and duvet covers.
cromercrabholiday

Re: REVIEWS SAID THE SAME

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Chianti wrote:Sue

I think I read about it online in The Daily Mail, but it was clearly stated that it didn't boil the water. Some types of kettles for offices are the same, if I remember correctly, the wall mounted ones & possibly the hot drinks machines, they don't boil the water for safety reasons. In the case of this kettle, it's in order to save energy, sod safety & energy saving, I like my drinks boiling hot, it certainly wouldn't do for me.

Chianti

At room temperature
It would do for me - carrying three newly kettle-made mugs of assorted drinks (two without milk), one rested against my knuckle. By the time I'd got back to my desk, it hurt. Half an hour later it had developed into a blister which about five days later is just healing nicely!

John
pambon

Post by pambon »

I try to use natural cleaninng remedies as much as possible.

Keep drains clear with bicarb and white vinegar after each departure. Vinegar is perfect for limescale removal. A small glass of bicarb placed into a smelly bin/oven/drawer etc for a couple of hours will absorb the odours.

Lots of natural handy tips, which I promptly forget unless I write them down immediately :lol: can be had from Houses Behaving Badly - not that I believe any of us have houses in quite those conditions!!!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Cheap Olive Oil on chrome, I just brought back to life an old 50's blender, looks like new! Not that I was around in the 50's.
Cheers
PC
pambon

Post by pambon »

Paul Carmel wrote:Cheap Olive Oil on chrome, I just brought back to life an old 50's blender, looks like new! Not that I was around in the 50's.
My, PC, you're quite the youngster then :D