Create an accessible gite?

Services offered by owners that are relevant to the business of rentals.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Nice to see this very worthwhile topic refreshed. As I said in the spring, we built our villa from scratch to be wheelchair-friendly (and I nod here to AK's observation that modifying an existing house would be either impossible - the French love steps - or expensive).

I've just checked our records and we are getting about 7 weeks a year booked specifically for wheelchair-users - that's about a third of our turnover. So whilst it's not to say we wouldn't have filled those weeks anyway, I do think it gives us a unique selling point, and has been worthwhile. If you go to OD, click on the wheelchair symbol at the top and select Languedoc-Ruissillon, ours is the only property which pops up, so I think it was well worthwhile taking the extra trouble to meet a need which is clearly there.

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
chrismooney

Post by chrismooney »

ergo
we have a gite/chambre d'hote in the indre/loire/centre region of france, however friends of ours nearby have 2 large gites which were converted/adapted for disabled requirements as one of the owners has severe disabilities.....do you want me to send you some contact details? the gites can sleep 8 and 10 with downstairs en-suite/ bathroom facilities
regards
sue and chris
chef who will try anything!!
cdsjg

Accessibleaccommodation

Post by cdsjg »

Hi, Interesting to read this thread. We have been providing mobility equipment in and Around Europe for over 7 years and the market is growing year on year, for mobility aids, and so is the market place for good accommodation that is accessible. All new homes should comply with this in Europe due to the DDA regulations (Disabled Discrimination Act) . All properties in USA already comply and have wide doors, ramps etc.
We are in the process of buying a property which will be tweaked to be fully accessible. But the main point is that the market place for good accessible accommodation is growing and by incorporating little things you can open up your market place and achieve more lettings.
Accommodation that is deemed to be wheelchair accessible does not have to resemble a clinic, it just takes a little planning,. And advertising the benefits of it being accessible and wheelchair friendly is another selling point for your property.

[Edited by admin]
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Botheration! I spent ages researching before I posted on here and now it's been zapped by admin!

I understand why though.... 8) Hope you were helped by my remarks anyway cdsjg if you saw them in time!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Giddy Goat wrote:Botheration! I spent ages researching before I posted on here and now it's been zapped by admin
I'd love to know what you said so why don't you PM me with a copy.

Alan
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Is there a clever way of recovering ones zapped post?

Just offerd the usual helpful hints on how cdsjg could improve the site! Spent ages of time I shouldn't be using in this way just now, seeing how it performed on suitable search words ... here's hoping it wasn't lost on cdsjg!

I was actually thinking of advertising, since we don't have wheelchair access but are suitable for those with limited but independent mobility, which they carry a category for. However the rates are much too high for a new site which isn't yet performing to its full potential.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

GG, seems a shame, I didn't think you normally broke forum rules? :wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I didn't! :lol: But I think cdsjg did, and my post followed his/hers, so to leave it in wouldn't have made sense!
paolo

Post by paolo »

GG, humble apologies, I assumed that cdsjg had read your feedback, I should have copied it and PMed it to him to be sure. He can of course add his site to the www field or signature in his profile.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks Paolo - maybe he'll post again, but anyway, I've PMed him to contact me if he missed my post.
cdsjg

accessible

Post by cdsjg »

hi, Sorry Paolo.
Was tyring to be informative and helpful, and hopefully still can be without breaking the rules!
BUt suffice to say the wheelchair friendly / easy accessible requirements of a property just make the potential market for letting that much bigger. ANd it is a sector that is growing all the time.