Visit Algarve/Huelva over Christmas

Swap weeks with your fellow rental owners - stay for free anywhere in the world.<br>
CostaBlanca

Visit Algarve/Huelva over Christmas

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi,

I am thinking of heading west over the Christmas. I want to visit Donaña National Park and revisit my favourite places on the Algarve after so many years. We could stay near Donaña for a couple of nights and then move westwards to Portugal and base ourselves there or stay in one place near Ayamonte for the duration. Obviously, if we choose to stay at 2 different places, we would be restricted to staying at hotel/hostals etc.
Location must have decent restaurants nearby. We would prefer not to have use the car all the time - we like walking/hiking. I have elected to post here as I can offer a Costa Blanca apartment in exchange but really I am looking for recommendations where to base ourselves.

Any advice welcome.

Maria
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hi Maria

I haven't been to Donana but pass the sign on the way to Seville, it's about an hour from IC/Ayamonte and I guess it depends what parts of Portugal you want to visit but we reach Faro in 50 minutes. If you want any info on IC/Ayamonte then pm me and I'll share with you what I know on that particular area.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Thank you, Partridge. I will pm you.

Maria
debk

Post by debk »

Hello, sorry for the delay in responding. We were down at our beach cottage in the Eastern Algarve, relaxing, relaxing! :)

Tavira is a nice base for visiting. It is less than 30 minutes from the Spanish border, and a charming, romantic town. You can rent kayaks, visit the castle/gardens or catch a ferry to the surrounding sandy islands. The islands are fabulous for wandering in utter seclusion and clamming. (OK, I'm a bit biased about the islands, as our cottage is on one of them.) The islands belong to the Ria Formosa Natural Park and the entrance in Olhão is another nice place for a picnic and hike. If you are into bird watching, it's apparently the spot. Their Tidal Mill is interesting, with a small café that sells the locally produced salts, organic juices, etc.

http://www.manorhouses.com/parks/formosa.html

This real estate website has useful links to some of the less-known Eastern Algarve sites.

http://www.east-algarve.com/content.aspx?id=54

Hope that helps. Have a lovely trip!
debk
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hola Deb,

Many thanks for the links and Tavira info. It is an area that I know little about as I most of my earlier visits were to the coastal areas around Albufeira and Portimao. I remember a couple of trips up to Monchique for Chicken piri piri and visits westwards to Sagres. All so long ago, however and I most likely will not recognise anywhere or anything. Having to catch a ferry to travel into Portugal was an experience though.

Thanks a million, might have more questions.

Maria
debk

Post by debk »

Ah, Maria, the Eastern Algarve is wonderful. Perhaps when you visited Albufeira and Portimão (both in the Western Algarve) they were still Portuguese in nature, but these days it seems difficult to find anyone who speaks Portuguese over there. :(

I just remembered that the Tourismo in Olhão was recently giving out fat, spiral bound books of driving tours in the area. Great resource. Tavira Tourism Office probably has/had them, too. Worth a look.

Feliz Natal,
debk
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hi Deb

I must admit I feel quite shamed faced, we have had our place for over 2 years and only visited Tavira once :oops: We had a wander round the town, into a little church and over the bridge but I never even saw any directions to a beach so never explored further.

We have taken several very scenic rides up to Alcoutim, a pretty little place on the banks of the Guadiana. Must try to do more exploring. :lol:

debk

Post by debk »

Actually, I'm feeling ashamed of my negative comments about the Western Algarve. Apologies to everyone there. It's covered with vacation rentals and tours past the villas of the Rich&Famous who've chosen to holiday there; obviously, many people love the Western Algarve!

Partridge, here's a bit to whet your appetite for your next visit to Tavira and Olhão. (Don't miss the Algarve's largest fresh fish/fruit market on the Olhão waterfront, near their ferries to Armona, Culatra and Farol islands.)

The towns along the eastern stretch of the Algarve — Olhao, Tavira and Real de Santo Antonio — are more peaceful and have preserved a lot of their character. Olhao, the largest fishing port on the Algarve, is just eight kilometres from Faro airport, making it the ideal location from which to explore this area.

The most attractive and convivial town on the Algarve is Tavira. On the banks of the river Gilhao, it has a history that stretches back to 400 BC, but was at its most prosperous — as a commercial port — in the 15th and 16th Centuries. Dining by the river looking out onto Tavira's seven-arch Roman bridge is a highlight of any visit to the Algarve. And one of the most tranquil parts of the Algarve is only a short boat ride away: Tavira Island is a 14-kilometre sand-spit with an attractive beach on its sea side and a more sheltered enclave on the land side. It has a campsite, a handful of villas and a couple of bars and restaurants.
Personally, I find Olhão's much touted "cubist" architecture downright ugly but it's an interesting wander through the narrow streets. Now, Armona Island, ah, Armona... pure bliss...
debk
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Never heard of Armona Island, will look it up. Vila Real can be reached from Ayamonte by a 10 minute ferry ride but I have to confess that there are wayyyy too many linen shops, it's like helloooo why don't some of you sell something else :roll: Have you ever visited Ayamonte town Deb ? it is without doubt the prettiest place for miles and miles around, fully pedestrianised with a wonderful atmosphere and quite a selection of shops and restaurants.

debk

Post by debk »

There are no linen shops on Armona Island. No shops at all, in fact. Just a little ferry dock surrounded by 3-4 sandy cafés/restaurants and a cluster of tangled white beach cottages. No cars, no phones (except cellphones, of course), no internet. B-O-R-I-N-G, I know, but addictive. Just beaches, dunes, peace and quiet. Here's a photo taken two days ago, with Farol Island in the background.

We haven't yet been to Ayamonte but it's on the list. Problem is that once we get to Armona, 'Island Time' takes over and the days drift away. Not sure what happens but the to-do list never gets to-done... which is, of course, just fine with everyone as it's a good excuse to hurry back. :roll:
debk
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Thanks to you, both. I am beginning to look forward to my break over the festive period. Lots of interesting places to visit, I must do some research, I have been out all day.

Now I will have to keep my fingers crossed that the weather stays reasonable. For many years ago, in order to get away from crazyiness of Christmas and the cold, we always headed away for a good weather location. Since we are now living in Spain, hot sunny weather is no longer a prerequisite. Last year we went up the Ski resort on Sierra Nevada, near Granada. 0ºC at the ski station and but is was nearly 20ºC down on the coast.!!!

Deb, great photo, no wonder you you like the island so much :)

Maria