Hive getting worse...again

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
jazzuk777

Hive getting worse...again

Post by jazzuk777 »

So the previous update to Hive meant that we couldn't any longer provide access details to guests (we used the Pseudonym feature on Outlook to create an email address that couldn't be signed into by anyone, to create a Hive account, but forced 2 step verification locked us out when an unsuspecting guest was forced to register). Now they are stopping the web version for controls, meaning the app will be required (an issue if you have Hive at home as well as in your property). Anyone else fed up with them changing the terms? I feel like holiday lets are a natural customer for them they are totally ignoring. If there are lots of people here also fed up, I'll look at creating an e-petition to tell them to stop fixing what isn't broken and consider their customer base rather than just changing stuff.
Small Victorian terrace in Caister let to friends and family
SusanMay

Re: Hive getting worse...again

Post by SusanMay »

TBH I've always thought Hive isn't user friendly. Never understood why a Hive Hub must be associated with one person (and their phone number with 2 factor authentication) making it hard for 2 people (e.g. husband and wife) to both be able to remotely control their own house. We have got around this as we have Hive at home and in our holiday cottage. So one of us has an account for our own house, and the other has an account for the holiday cottage. Then we have, in the app, given each other permission to have access to the other property.

I don't think Hive have any interest in making themselves fit rental places better. I've been on a Hive forum in the past and lots of people who rent places out (STLs as well as holiday) want to be able to set a maximum temperature but Hive had never implemented that function. People were able to do this using the applet ‘If This Then That’ (IFTTT), but they have removed that functionality from January next year.

So, yes, it would be nice if Hive stopped removing functionality and made access simpler but it doesn't look like there's much chance of that.
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

Thanks, to add people that way, you use People>Invite?

Ideally we'd want to go back to the old way with signing in with a restricted email but that might be somewhat useful at least, currnetly the cottage and home are on different emails.
Small Victorian terrace in Caister let to friends and family
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

Yes, it is the people -> invite option. We don't use it with guests though (who would need to have their own hive userid and the app installed). I remotely put the heating on before a guest is going to arrive and if they want to control the heating when they are there they can use the thermostat.