Argh - stink bugs!

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Ecosse

Argh - stink bugs!

Post by Ecosse »

Anybody got experience of getting rid of 'punaise de bois' aka stink bugs? They've been gradually increasing in numbers in our gite over the last couple of years but this year, they're impossible! Has anyone any ideas on how to get rid of them? We've tried deterring them with a mix of clove, thyme and mint oil (internet suggestion) but it's only temporary... they're back within a few hours. We've resorted to hoovering them, which isn't easy as they are all round the door and window frames, but they still come back... and the stink out the back of the hoover is not pleasant!

Any suggestions gratefully received!
CSE

Re: Argh - stink bugs!

Post by CSE »

The bugs are not a danger to anyone. But guest do not appreciate them
I would not vacuum them up in case they die and start to stink. The odour is not pleasant.
I suppose the best way to control these, like most unwanted insects, it to spray them with a water/washing up liquid mix.
I would also look for crevasses around the building, that is where they find shelter. These need to be sealed up.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Thanks for your response, CSE, I appreciate it, but unfortunately, sealing up the holes would be impossible. The building is a large, 12 bedroom, 100 year old chalet with wood lambris eveywhere, and, on top of that, the stink bugs are perfectly capable of wriggling in between the numerous window and door frames. Even in our more modern apartment, they get through via the brand new window frame. It's therefore impossible to seal up the access points and spraying them would just leave literally hundreds of dead bodies to hoover up (which still stink, even when dead), and a slippery residue to clean off. Hence , I'm looking for something to deter them coming anywhere near the rooms in the first place. They used to be limited to the area under a conker tree where we dry our washing, but just in the last 2 years, for some unknown reason, the population has exploded.
CSE

Post by CSE »

With the soap/water spray you can clean them up after they have been drenched. They maybe still alive, but throwing them away straight away will help keep things cleaner. The same with the surfaces, just a wipe down. It will remove the adults from the life cycle.
I suppose with the constantly warmer weather will help the population to keep growing. Cold and wet weather would certainly help keep numbers down.
If you want to fumigate them then maybe find a Agricultural supply store. They maybe able to sell you a chemical which may be strong enough to reduce the infestation. Some chemicals can only be sprayed by professionals.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.