Agent takeover

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Perran

Agent takeover

Post by Perran »

We have had a holiday let for over 10 years during this time we have used two agents. Both agents have worked in harmony and we have maximised our bookings. In July one of the agents said that they had sold their business to another larger agent. The larger agent does not take damage deposits and does permit us to use other agents.

I have said I am unable to operate without security deposits given the amount of damage caused in the last two years, including holiday makers setting fire to the decking. For this reason I could not join the new large agents operation.

This morning the new agent emailed me to say they would be cancelling our three bookings for 2023 and would find the visitors alternative accommodation from their portfolio because we would not join them. I questioned whether this was legal as guests had already booked and paid deposits I didn't think the new agents had the right to cancel the bookings. We have no agreement with the new agent and the old agent does not exist now. After I told them I would not allow them to do this, the new agent say they will pass on my details to the guests so they can continue with the bookings directly with me or with our other agent. Whilst only three bookings these represent a substantial amount of income for next year.

Does anyone have experience of a similar situation and how did they deal with it?
A Perran
zebedee

Re: Agent takeover

Post by zebedee »

Hi,
Many years ago I started out with an agent. The contract was unlimited owner bookings. The bookings came in from the agent but started to slow. So I set up a website and pointed the adverts for my property on two local tourist sites (that I was paying for) away from the agent to my own site. The agent bookings got less and people contacted me direct.
I was still happy with the agent who provided cleaning etc regardless of where the bookings came from.
Then one day I got a letter from the agency to say they were removing my property as I had taken owner bookings. They refused to answer any letters or discuss this at all.
The bookings already taken by the agency continued but they “ghosted” my property.

That was when I started managing my own bookings.
Agents are pretty much a law unto themselves and I doubt you will gain anything by pursuing them further.
Either start to take your own bookings or go looking for a more honerable agent
Perran

Post by Perran »

Thanks Zebedee,

I'm sure we can and will be able market ourselves and manage bookings ourselves. The agent had become a real nuisance this year trying to charges us for the most ridiculous things, when guests had damaged the property. They would rather be in the guests good books and make us pay for the damage! I'm glad to see the back of them now. :)
A Perran
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Yes, because of course they want the guests to book every year with them so they get the commission. They aren’t too bothered about any damage to your property.

Agents are not really our friends once they have signed us up. If you need any help re TCs or other matters don’t hesitate to pm me. I suggest you also join PASC as the subscription is very well worth the money and they have a lot of resources you can access.

Best wishes.