Business V Domestic energy

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
GillyT

Business V Domestic energy

Post by GillyT »

When we bought our cottage the previous owners had a business energy contract, which we just continued with as it was cheaper than domestic rates. Now that energy prices have gone bonkers it would be much cheaper for us to be on a capped domestic tariff, but our current supplier (Octopus) is refusing to move us to a domestic tariff. They say we need to produce a council tax bill, which we can't do as we're zero business rated. We only rent out from the end of March to Early November. I've been in touch with the local power network who checked the meter and say it's a single phase domestic meter and that there's no reason why Octopus can't move us - but they won't budge, despite 3 of the other five holiday let cottages in the row being on domestic tariffs. Has anyone swapped from business to domestic? Is it true that we can't swap? I'd be grateful for any advice.
newtimber

Re: Business V Domestic energy

Post by newtimber »

I don't think you can pick and choose.
If you are paying business rates, then you are running a business and pay business electric rates - but you only pay VAT at 5% if you fill in the form that saying the use is domestic.
If you are paying council tax, then you aren't running a business and pay non-business electric rates.

Don't you think that's fair?
GillyT

Re: Business V Domestic energy

Post by GillyT »

Hi newtimber. Thanks for your response. I agree it to an extent: but out of the row of 6 cottages, three of the other owners are on domestic tariffs, and another has managed to swap from a business to domestic tariff with the same energy company that we're with, and another swapped from residential to a business tariff a couple of years ago. So it seems to be a grey area. Our usage is the same as a normal home of a similar size. We're obviously happy to pay the appropriate tariff, but it just puzzles me why other owners in the same row of cottages are on domestic tariffs and we can't change.