Tripadvisor Update your status - business or consumer

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
CSE

Re: Tripadvisor Update your status - business or consumer

Post by CSE »

paolo wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:33 am This is to do with a new EU directive known as the Omnibus Directive, this is from Tripadvisor support pages:
What are the recent changes to EU/UK consumer protection law?
New laws in the European Union (EU) and United Kingdom (UK) (often referred to as the Omnibus Directive or New Deal for Consumers) make key changes to the existing consumer legislation framework. They give additional rights and protections to people using online marketplaces to buy goods and services, which includes making bookings of vacation rental properties.

Online marketplaces are required to inform their users:
Whether a seller of goods/services on their platform is a professional trader or a private individual (consumer). If the seller is a professional trader, they are required to present certain business information to users of the marketplace.
Here is the directive itself: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/dir/2019/2161/oj
Thank you for that.
I still do not understand how TA can divide the owners up into two groups.
Looking around the legislation says is important to indicate whether a seller or service provider acts as a professional trader or as a private individual. If the seller or service provider is not a professional trader, consumers must be warned that the consumer protection legislation will not apply to any contract . That could affect your business status.
Personally I feel that a property owner is a professional trader. I suppose that has not been clarified and will be down to individual counties definition of who is a professional or not..
This I can see that this legislation is more for the likes of Facebook market place, Ebay, Etsy etc where the differences in who sells physical goods are not presently defined.
TA is the only portal asking this question.
As a side note TA will have to try harder to stop fake reviews and that is good news.
For every price reduction claim, sellers will have to indicate as a reference price the lowest price applied within a period of at least 30 days preceding the price reduction announcement. So go careful in how you offer those last minute discounts to fill gaps.
Fines against failings in GDPR are now synchronised throughout the EU.
Has the UK adopted these changes or because of Brexit have they not been legislated for?
There is a lot more to this than this quick run down/thoughts.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.