Pool Pump Timer Switch

For anything to do with the garden and pool
joddle

Pool Pump Timer Switch

Post by joddle »

We have a pool and in the pool house fitted to the fuse board is a timer which controls the pool pump. The timer is about 20 years old and recently we have noticed it does not always work as expected and our pump is running for longer then the programmes state. We are therefore wanting to get a new timer.

With the new Spanish system of charging for electricity by time period and day of the week it is important we try and keep the pool pump running in the cheapest times or at weekends. So what we really want is a programable timer which allows for weekend and week days as well as several times during any day. Also we tend to get sporadic power cuts which sends the pump timings out every time so a timer with some form of backup would be much preferred.

Does anyone have any experience of such timers and if so which ones do they use? Also are they available for DIN rail mounting or do we need to change the way our timer is connected?
All suggestions or ideas most welcomed
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

Something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313855528815? might suit you but it's hard to tell how easy it is to reprogram if/when you want longer filtration periods in the summer or whether it changes automatically when the clocks change in spring or autumn.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114988570920? is cleverer but if it's old stock there's a possibility the 5-year battery may have, or be about to, run out.

These timers are easiest to use if you can stick to the same schedule all-year round but a workaround is to have a daily on-time of say, midnight, and then off-times of 2am, 4am & 6am and choose which of the last three you want (or disabling the ones you don't want), depending on the time of year.

If you have a pool guy who looks after the pool for you, you may find they are unhappy as it's too complicated.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Many thanks for that - it has set me in the right direction and now I find I have a few choices but need to decide which will be best for us.

a) simple analogue timer - no backup when power fails. very easy to set and change times. Downside if there is a power cut then timings could be way out and we may end up using expensive tariffs when not needed.

b) simple analogue time with battery backup - again easy to programme and change but not sure how long batteries last

c) digital - many types available but most have a battery backup so power breaks should not affect timings - also almost allow up to three sessions per day and can be programmed for 7 days so weekends can have different times to weekdays thus maximising use of electric price bands - not sure if they time change with winter and summer time though.

Prices all under 50e so to me c) seems the obvious by they do look more complicated to programme and so will need to discuss with our pool man. If difficult then b) certainly would do the job.
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

Battery backups tend to be hours to a few days for rechargeable batteries or years for the non-rechargeable (and usually not easily replaceable) batteries. Digital clocks will likely run for longer than analogue.

If you're on site (permanently or regularly), you can take responsibility for reprogramming.

In my experience pool maintenance people look for longer hours than are strictly necessary as it cuts the risk (to them) of things going wrong and the subsequent cost of remedial treatments. They forget how expensive the electricity can be.
joddle

Post by joddle »

I am only looking for backup over a few hours as our electric does go off quite often for short periods, normally a few hours at most but that totally screws up the timer settings on our current system. I am not there all the time and our poolman comes just once a week so it can be a whole week of bad timing before he notices! Also the timer is over 20 years old and seems to come on sometimes when not programmed to so getting a new one seems pretty important.