Wintering in Spain

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Norfolk Canary

Wintering in Spain

Post by Norfolk Canary »

My wife and I are both retiring this Spring and are seriously considering spending next December, January and February in Spain. I know the max stay is now 90 days. Our own holiday place is in North Norfolk which isn’t quite so appealing at that time of year!
Are there any websites that specifically cater for longer term Winter stays. If not, any clues on where best to look would be appreciated.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Hi Our place is available, I'll pm you!
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

You would do well to contact rentals asking if they could accommodate a long winter let. Am sure many places would be very happy to have some income and could offer a good discount.

Check how the property is heated in winter as many may be mainly set up for summer.

The only thing that might get in the way for some properties is Christmas / New Year - which is a peak season for rentals. So may need to be flexible for a January to March three month stretch.

Good luck with your search!
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

Thanks, I will bear that in mind.
Vera

Post by Vera »

We generally have guests staying for 6-10 weeks in the winter.
Normally they bring a dog.
We offer a 20% discount on stays of 4 weeks or more.
On the plus side it gives us winter income and keeps the property aired.
The down side for us depends on how much heating they need to use with rising fuel prices.

We have a lovely couple here for 10 weeks at the moment, the weather isn't great cloudy and 13º max. We live on site and they called me down to help with a tv query. They are in the warm in tee shirts and i am in my house with 2 fleeces on!
I hope they have more problems and call me down again!!
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

Vera wrote:We generally have guests staying for 6-10 weeks in the winter.
Normally they bring a dog.
We offer a 20% discount on stays of 4 weeks or more.
On the plus side it gives us winter income and keeps the property aired.
The down side for us depends on how much heating they need to use with rising fuel prices.

We have a lovely couple here for 10 weeks at the moment, the weather isn't great cloudy and 13º max. We live on site and they called me down to help with a tv query. They are in the warm in tee shirts and i am in my house with 2 fleeces on!
I hope they have more problems and call me down again!!
You are not selling Winter in Spain very well! ????
Marks

Post by Marks »

Norfolk Canary wrote: You are not selling Winter in Spain very well! ????
This winter has been rubbish, certainly on the Costa Blanca - cold, wet, grey and windy for days at a time. It's not all sun, sea and sangria.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

We are going over tomorrow, I think it will improve! January can be the worst month. For a let of 10 weeks I would not includes utility bills, with past exoperience it can get abused,instead I give a much lower rental with guests paying for water and electric bills, we pay everything else, wi fi, Tv etc
Vera

Post by Vera »

roxytoo wrote:We are going over tomorrow, I think it will improve! January can be the worst month. For a let of 10 weeks I would not includes utility bills, with past exoperience it can get abused,instead I give a much lower rental with guests paying for water and electric bills, we pay everything else, wi fi, Tv etc

The meters for our rental properties are combined with our house which is why we include utilities. We've never had a problem with abuse, guests need to be warm! I'm just careful with our own use.

Anyway temperatures over 20º today so normal service is resumed.
joddle

Post by joddle »

roxytoo wrote:We are going over tomorrow, I think it will improve! January can be the worst month. For a let of 10 weeks I would not includes utility bills, with past exoperience it can get abused,instead I give a much lower rental with guests paying for water and electric bills, we pay everything else, wi fi, Tv etc
How do you do that? - I thought the on-selling of electricity is illegal in Spain! - Do they take over the meters during their stay? or do you have pay meters somehow?
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.