If I accept summer guests what happens if I manage to sell?

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
dixeady

If I accept summer guests what happens if I manage to sell?

Post by dixeady »

Amazingly, I've just had an enquiry via Spain Holiday, even though I'm leaving them. What would others do about accepting a potential booking for July, when it's possible I might have sold the house by then? Equally, it's just as likely it won't have sold, so I don't want to turn down rentals - even with the huge tax burden involved. Some income is better than none!

Any advice or previous experience, please?
Manclass

Post by Manclass »

The same has happened to us . The only difference is that we had two houses next to each other , one we lived in and one we rented through Spain- Holiday , I suppose it depends if your buyer will want to rent the house ( which seems to be happening a lot now ) or live in it
We had our houses on the market for 4 years , if we had stopped taking rentals we would have lost 4 years income.
We sold in November and had more or less full bookings for 2022 apart from January through to March .
we asked the people that were buying would they honour our bookings which they said they would , bearing in mind at least half our bookings were long term rentals some coming every year for 13 years , so it was in the new owners interest to honour them..
As it was he honoured the booking dates but not the rental price which he put up considerably. .
I contacted all our renters and explained the situation and gave them a choice of still renting or paying their deposits back... every one of them accepted their deposits back..
I've checked on the agents rental site and the villa hasn't had any new bookings , so the new owner has lost out big time ..
Marks

Post by Marks »

If the new owner is buying it to live in then any rentals you have will not be honoured and you will have to return deposits.

I guess you could always accept bookings up to, say, end of July with the stipulation in the purchase contract that completion has to be after 31 July. Review it each month and extend to end of August if no offer accepted and so on each month.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
dixeady

Post by dixeady »

Thanks for the replies. The potential guests seem to have vanished now, but you've given me advice I can use with the estate agent. We've already worded the advert to say that the property is set up for rentals, in case someone is looking to buy with that in mind.