Covid.

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Drax

Covid.

Post by Drax »

We have just had our first cancellation this year due to a guest contracting Covid. To be fair they did contact us on Friday, the day before they were due to arrive, informing us they had tested positive for the illness. We were grateful that they did have the courtesy and good sense to cancel their holiday before they travelled to our cottage.
I have since wondered what are the requirements for how long a holiday home should remain empty if a guest informs you they have contracted Covid during their stay at the holiday let?
I have read that the disease diminishes in rooms/dwellings that could have been contaminated after 48 hours and also other information that it reduces significantly after 72 hours. I cannot find any information on how long a holiday let should remain unoccupied after it had a guest contracted Covid whilst staying there.
Does anyone know if there is legal requirement or advice?
Keep your powder dry.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I believe the thinking is now that there is low likelihood of transmitting COVID via surfaces so having 72 or 48 hr buffer periods is not considered necessary. You would need to do your usual anti-viral clean and make sure the property is well aired - fresh air seems to be important in dispersing the virus.

If you haven't already then have a good read of the materials on the Professional Association of Self Caterers website:
https://www.pascuk.co.uk/covid19-resources/
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Drax

Post by Drax »

Joanna wrote:I believe the thinking is now that there is low likelihood of transmitting COVID via surfaces so having 72 or 48 hr buffer periods is not considered necessary. You would need to do your usual anti-viral clean and make sure the property is well aired - fresh air seems to be important in dispersing the virus.

If you haven't already then have a good read of the materials on the Professional Association of Self Caterers website:
https://www.pascuk.co.uk/covid19-resources/
Hi Jo,
Thank you for this.
I have read through the PASC information document re. Covid 19 but can find no requirements or instructions regarding whether there should be a buffer period of allowing the property to remain unoccupied until it is re-let again.
I now believe you are correct, if a guest has contracted Covid whilst staying in a holiday let, the owners should ensure it is thoroughly cleaned using anti viral cleaning agents and making sure the house is well aired.
Let us hope we all keep Covid free during the coming winter months.
Take care.
Keep your powder dry.