Welcome Book / House Book on a Tablet

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
PPS

Welcome Book / House Book on a Tablet

Post by PPS »

Instead of making up a loose leaf book, does anyone know how to put the info on a low cost tablet for guests to use ? Running several properties means the info changes frequently and it could also become the preferred way for guests to get back in touch with questions. If the tablet connects to the property WiFi then maybe I can update the info remotely or add fresh local info - hey I could even welcome them by name like they do in the better hotels.

There are all kinds of (expensive) paid versions of this but I am sure there are some open source or free versions too. Anyone researched and done it ?
Established for 23 years in the Vale do Lobo, Quinta do Lago, Vilamoura area and still learning !
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

As most people now bring devices with them, you could just tell guests to scan a QR code that takes them to a password-protected part of your existing website which has this information. Yes they'll be able to access the information after they've left if you don't change the password regularly, but does this matter?
Martha

Post by Martha »

I have mine electronically and it’s useful but I would always always have it printed too.

The problem is that so many people just don’t read it. Especially if there’s a lot of info. Then they are bugging you, or making mistakes.

Whereas a nicely laid out paper version ... people always read it and I get a lot of positive comments.
A nice book to leaf through with lovely pics is a much more “holiday” experience.

Pictures are vital and both versions have lots of them. Makes a huge difference. It’s a lot of work to do but it saves a ton of work over the course of the season.

I’ve pondered leaving a tablet but I think you’d spend more time helping people having problems with it.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Martha wrote: Whereas a nicely laid out paper version ... people always read it and I get a lot of positive comments.
A nice book to leaf through with lovely pics is a much more “holiday” experience.

Pictures are vital and both versions have lots of them. Makes a huge difference. It’s a lot of work to do but it saves a ton of work over the course of the season.
I too believe in the paper version and have had guest read it from end to end.

I think your point about the photos Martha is a very good one. At the moment mine is all text - whereas my website has the photos - a task for me this winter! :D
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Martha wrote: Whereas a nicely laid out paper version ... people always read it and I get a lot of positive comments.
It takes an awful lot of time to keep paper versions up-to-date - business go bust, new ones take over, the pub that was good now has a new chef etc etc. And they have to be laminated which takes hours and then you can't recycle the paper...
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

newtimber wrote: And they have to be laminated which takes hours and then you can't recycle the paper...
I don't, I just put them in the thin plastic sleeves in a loose-leaf binder. Easy enough to replace.

You're right about the changes to restaurants. Covid has been dire for our favourite places - the new owners in several cases have been far from good. Hoping they will settle down and be better by next year
PPS

Post by PPS »

Thanks for the comments, I am committed to the tablet idea going forwards as new rules here mean we are supposed to provide house information in at least three languages* and for multiple properties I would be visiting each one twice a week just to update every small change in each language version of the information.

Tablets are part of our lives now and a low cost one (can be older spec and refurbished) is fifty bucks or less. If clients take it home or break it then it's against their damage deposit but if I can lock it in a way that ensures it only runs the programmes I want then misuse shouldn't be an issue.

I can also add a chat function for 'issues' which means they get auto acknowledged and I can attend to them at earliest convenience.

Still researching therefore to find the right software.

* By way of protest against such imposed legislation I may make Klingon one of them
Established for 23 years in the Vale do Lobo, Quinta do Lago, Vilamoura area and still learning !
Martha

Post by Martha »

Yes I just use plastic loose leaf too.
COVID has made it more time consuming for sure. Last year I went fully electronic and removed the paper one because what's the point showing people what they can't have?!

Now it's back with an electronic version too for things that you really do need links for eg weather, webcams, lifts.

Different things work for different setups! I'll be interested to hear how the tablet idea goes :)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Interested in the tablet idea.

But need to consider that some people are used to Android and some to Apple tablets for example - and if the tablet itself has a technical problem might cause more trouble than it's worth.

I do see hotels that have tablets - but there's always someone on site to fix / charge / explain in person as a back up.

I do think that a password protected page on a website is much easier to manage - especially as the guest uses technology they are used to to access it - and guess most of us are used to QR codes in resturants. Certainly we are here in Spain.