Insurance

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Casscat

Insurance

Post by Casscat »

Which company do Spanish resident holiday rental owners insure with? I've contacted three brokers and they've all come back with Liberty Seguros, but the quotes vary substantially.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

If you mean Public Liability insurance - we insure via La Caixa - €65 per month
CSE

Post by CSE »

Quotes vary because of commission the broker* wishes to take.
Personally I would be looking at the policy /coverage rather than prices. Some cheaper insurances only have the bare minimum.
Search for seguro de responsabilidad civil profesional
*We have our gestoría arrange things.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Marks

Post by Marks »

I have three rental properties plus my own house and two cars all insured by Liberty which are arranged by a local broker. I have had to make two claims (one for the house and one for a car), the broker dealt with everything and Liberty were very quick to respond and resolved everything.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

I have posted on this somewhere before in LMH. The most important point is the stipulation of your region. Nearly all of them state that you need a specific public liability coverage. So how much it costs is less relevant than getting the adequate legal cover. I am out of things now but I always had a standard type insurance with my bank with cover for rented property, as opposed to owner-occupied
I never had "holiday rental" insurance cover. Lots of things have changed in the last few years but Spain has never really had a specific insurance for holiday rentals. You have to take into account that most hol-let owners are Spanish and they would have been obliged to take out insurance when they took out the mortgage.
The other type of cover for damage done by guests etc. is not what you are legally obliged to have.
If you have an apartment rather than a house or if you have a town-house in a complex, the "comunidad de propietarios" always have a public liability insurance policy so it's worth checking that out before you take out double cover.