Purchasing a holiday home for let

If you're buying or selling, tell others about it here. Or ask other owners for advice.
ChrisC

Purchasing a holiday home for let

Post by ChrisC »

Hi

My wife and I will soon be receiving a large sum of money. We had considered purchasing a flat close to us and renting that, but advice we received on another forum made us think it wasnt such a good idea.

We are now considering if we could purchase a holiday home e.g. caravan, cabin, that we could purchase, and importantly, pay a company to manage everything for us.
I have discovered there are comanies out there that do this e.g. https://www.willowpastures.co.uk/buy-to ... iday-homes

We may like to stay from time to time ourselves and ultimately one day perhaps spend more time there; so location is key. So for example above, this is in Yorkshire. We would be looking more for Devon/Cornwall.

I wondered if anyone on here does this, and if they have any general advice or leads on locations in Devon/Cornwall.

Thanks!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I would agree it isn’t a good time to buy a flat at the moment.

However, a caravan or lodge - do you understand that they have limited lifespans?? Eg the caravan site owner will dictate how old your caravan is allowed to get before you have to replace it?
Lodges also have a limited lifespan so not a good investment.

You will pay site fees as well as commission to the company managing everything for you. Make sure you do your research carefully and don’t accept on face value the amount if bookings that any agent will tell you you will get.

This year, if a property is not full, there is seriously something wrong, it people will start to travel abroad again and that will impact on bookings.
Good luck.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Zebedee - thanks for your response.

No, i did not aprpreciate the limited lifespan aspect; definitley food for thought.