Best wi-fi solution out there?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
May_8

Best wi-fi solution out there?

Post by May_8 »

I’ve found what potentially might be an amazing wi-fi solution mentioned on Boshers, the insurers website, but I’m wondering if anyone has any experience or insight they could share…

The company is https://hivewifi.co.uk/ . It sounds fantastic, because it offers a clever boost to social media through the guest’s log-in, but being free, I’m uncertain what the company are getting out of it and am feeling cautious. Googling it, results are all to do with Hive heating, I can’t seem to find out much about Hivewifi. The only other mention I’ve discovered so far is here https://www.lanside.co.uk/hive-wi-fi.html

Good or bad do we think? Would be grateful for any insight.
J B
Location: We live in England and have rental properties in N Wales and Paphos, Cyprus

Post by J B »

Does it sound too good to be true? ................. :lol:

I wonder if it's a form of spyware, I would perhaps be wary of connecting if I was a customer.
May_8

Post by May_8 »

I think we’ll not find out and leave that one alone!

I just want to set things up securely and found it along amongst my google searches. I’ve reached the conclusion that buying our own wireless access point is the way to go. Wish this job was taking less time!
Last edited by May_8 on Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Just looked at the website. Basically allows you to gain information analytics
With Hive+ analyse statistics and gain valuable insights into customer behavior.
Note the American spelling
Export all data gathered to import into your favourite CRM system.
Sounds like a data collection nightmare. Where is the customers privacy?
Ironically they have a privacy statement page covering the website but no information on the WIFI service.

https://hivewifi.co.uk/privacy-notice

Set up a home WiFi is not hard. If you have zones which are not covered then you can easily add booster/repeaters. How to do this could be down to the product purchased.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Not much information provided is there? It's amazing the data that can be captured using WiFi even if you don't log in. You can be tracked to see how you move around a building, how often you are there just from having WiFi turned on, no need to log in.

I use Ubiquity access points, quite easy to manage and you can set up guest access that captures social media (we have not bothered). Aruba instant on are pretty good as well, all managed from an app on your phone.
May_8

Post by May_8 »

Thanks guys for looking at the website and for your thoughts. We’re just starting out and building social media presence would be great, but certainly not at the expense of our guest’s privacy!

We’re just looking for an access point that does enough to cover our legal responsibilities in the event of illegal activity. Will have a look at Ubiquity and Aruba Instant on. I know in a previous thread someone mentioned Draytek. Meraki is one my fiancé’s discovered and looks cheaper than Draytek.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Sorry I am not getting this wanting to control the Wifi for one house.
KIS.
Obtain internet connection.
Usually they supply a router. That will be set up if so.
The router is password protected. If you are still worried that someone can "fiddle" with that router. Purchase another and use that for the guest log in/connection.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.