OTA’s, Channel managers, iCal and general advice please

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Ray Ferrier

OTA’s, Channel managers, iCal and general advice please

Post by Ray Ferrier »

I’m still new at this so am looking from some advice from some experienced members please.

My initial plan was to list on Airbnb, build a website and then promote on Facebook to drive some direct bookings.

I put my property up on Airbnb at the beginning of June and within 10 days I’d been booked pretty solid until the end of September (only 4 days free).

I then got distracted with cleaners, insurance, plumbing and a whole other list of things that seemed to take twice as long as I was expecting. But 8 days ago my first guest checked in and everything went swimmingly.

I then turned my eye back to my bookings, and there’s not been a new one since.

I’m not panicking as October is a while away but......I am questioning my next steps.

Do I

Just build my website and push on Facebook as originally planned?

Do I sign up to a channel manager and list on VRBO, and Tripadvisor to try and drum up some more bookings.

If I do I’ve read all sorts of stories about double bookings and iCal. So what’s everyone’s experience of them (every time I google I get someone’s vested interest).

Also any suggestions on channel managers if that’s a way to go?

Basically I’m looking for a steer by an independent perspective about which way to go.

Cheers
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

If you advertise on multiple OTAs then you really need a booking system with a channel manager. I use Beds24 but there are lots of others. I list on lots of OTAs but find that Airbnb produces most of the bookings. Other people find Airbnb doesn't work for them and use VRBO. It depends in location/property type.

No need to worry about bookings later in the year. People tend to book later especially now with Covid and people not knowing what the rules might be. A lot of people have been stung in having to pay for holidays that they can't legally take.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Where is your property? FB can work really well for some popular areas like Devon & Cornwall. We have 2 houses and the Devon one does well out of Facebook, but the Chester one does better from ABB. However, these days, both get most bookings from repeat customers, so however you get your first bookings the key is to encourage guests to come back and book direct.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth