Letter of invitation

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
costa-brava

Letter of invitation

Post by costa-brava »

My son spoke to me last night about a flourish of panic articles in the UK press about owners having to go to the Policia office of extranjeros to do a letter of invitation for friends and family who are coming to their Spanish property. Vacation rentals are well coverered by the current documentation but this is something new,post Brexit. And of course their is a cost to it.
I have a feeling that it refers to long term visas just like in most countries around the world but the Daily Express and Mail etc love to drum up these stories. I think it is important, especially for owners who are not resident here. They can't just trot along to the office of the Policia Nacional and while this summer is still uncertain for rentals, lots of people will be thinking about driving down.
dixeady

Post by dixeady »

Wouldn't their booking form, from BdC, ABB, SpainHol, etc be sufficient? That would surely give evidence of their payment to stay for a limited holiday period (plus return flight or ferry ticket). I haven't seen the articles you mention, as I don't read those newspapers. But maybe the Sunday Times will have a report on it tomorrow.

We don't need yet more reasons why Brits won't be booking this summer in Spain!
CSE

Post by CSE »

the Daily Express and Mail etc love to drum up these stories
Yep.
The official UK government website says nothing, but that could change.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... quirements?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Sorry Dixeady. Maybe my post isn't clear. It's not really about normal bookings. It refers to family and friends who come to stay with resident owners or who come to your property when it's vacant. it would be virtually impossible for any owner living in the UK to allow friends or family to stay in their Spanish property unless they make an official booking. Here's a link to Which that suggests it is more likely in France than in Spain but not certain. https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/05/go ... or-france/
And one to Olive Press.
https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news ... -in-spain/
dixeady

Post by dixeady »

Here's a link to Which that suggests it is more likely in France than in Spain but not certain.
Thanks for the link to the Which article. Now I realise you were only referring to people going to stay at a friend's or family's home.

What bothers me is that even if Spain gets to the 'green light', that still means lots of costly tests on return. Even though many Brits will have been double-vaccinated by then!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

dixeady wrote:
Here's a link to Which that suggests it is more likely in France than in Spain but not certain.
Thanks for the link to the Which article. Now I realise you were only referring to people going to stay at a friend's or family's home.

What bothers me is that even if Spain gets to the 'green light', that still means lots of costly tests on return. Even though many Brits will have been double-vaccinated by then!
That’s because there is no evidence yet to say that you cannot transmit the virus even if you are vaccinated. The UK strategy allows for the fact that onward transmission in vaccinated people can take place. Otherwise there would be no red amber and green countries, only red amber and green people.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Carta de invitación’
There has been a lot of speculation recently both on social media and in the press about whether UK visitors to Spain who are coming to stay with friends and family, and do not have tourist accommodation booked, have to complete and pay for a carta de invitación, an official form that specifies who you will be staying with while in Spain. The form includes a range of information, including the personal details of the invitee and the invited, the relationship between both parties, and the planned length of stay. According to the Citizens Advice Bureau Spain, “many visitors from third countries such as the USA or Australia to name a few, have not been asked for an invitation letter on arrival in Spain.” And it would appear for now that it is not being requested of UK nationals arriving in the country either.

A British Embassy spokesperson told EL PAÍS: “British nationals visiting Spain should be prepared to show proof of return or onward journey, sufficient funds for their visit and proof of accommodation, such as a hotel booking confirmation, proof of address if visiting a second home or an invitation from a host, at the border. The Spanish government has clarified that the carta de invitation is one of the options available to demonstrate proof of accommodation if staying with a host in a private home.

Conclusions? The carta de invitación does not appear to be a requirement for UK nationals for now, but that could still change in the future. In the meantime, be prepared to supply the other aforementioned documents on arrival at the Spanish border.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Quote: "Conclusions? The carta de invitación does not appear to be a requirement for UK nationals for now, but that could still change in the future. In the meantime, be prepared to supply the other aforementioned documents on arrival at the Spanish border."
Thanks Roxytoo and CSE and others. I was fairly sure that was the case but we'll need to keep an eye on it.