Double booking

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Karen&John

Double booking

Post by Karen&John »

Watching breakfast telly this morning and a family decided to be clever and book both a foreign holiday and a Norfolk one for the same week.

I will not name the family but I`m sure that anyone can look back via I player.
Then it will be up to the holiday let owner in Norfolk to decide whether their booking is appropriate.

This could affect many bookings this summer.

Best K&J
farley

Post by farley »

Yes, I don't think the couple in question have really thought this through. Surely one or both of the owners are going to see this?
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

If they have booked through an agent, will the owner get enough information to know it is them?
The agent won’t cancel them.

What people don’t realise is that this practice will push up prices for everyone. Not only holidays, but restaurants where the practice exists as well.
Some horrid people won’t care, because they have money. However it will affect all of us to the detriment. We have seen agents such as Sykes use dynamic pricing, so those people searching for holidays that have been double booked will be charged more if any availability is left. We had an opportunity this year to show that you can have a great holiday in the UK, but where people are now being charged thousands for a holiday that last year would have cost hundreds will harm the market for all of us.

I saw the programme, but unfortunately some months ago this practice was being recommended by a travel writer in a national newspaper (not a gutter press one either).
It is very bad news, snd too late for those who have bookings with TCs that do not protect the owners.
farley

Post by farley »

I find this so very depressing.
What can be done to safeguard owners in the future?
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

farley wrote:I find this so very depressing.
What can be done to safeguard owners in the future?
Avoid agency bookings so you have control over your guests and no more flexible booking policies is a good starting point.
farley

Post by farley »

Totally agree Cymraes