Gite guest only given me business address

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
SPJ

Gite guest only given me business address

Post by SPJ »

Just a bit concerned. I've taken a booking via Abritel (family of 3) and I've asked our guest to fill in our booking form so that I have more details than Vrbo provides. (They only give an email address and a telephone number.)
I'm surprised that she has only given me her work address, because it's "more convenient".
For me, that sets off alarm bells.
I'd welcome thoughts/suggestions please.
Should I insist on their home address?
farley

Post by farley »

Yes, I would definitely get a home address.
Ive never experienced this situation but I suppose guests can of course provide ‘fake’ addresses.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

I don't really see the issue here.
They pay via Abritel and the Abritel system will pay you and retain any damage deposit in your terms and conditions until you say its OK to repay the deposit.
Does it really matter whether they come from Paris or Lille ?
What would Plato do ?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

bornintheuk wrote:I don't really see the issue here.
They pay via Abritel and the Abritel system will pay you and retain any damage deposit in your terms and conditions until you say its OK to repay the deposit.
Does it really matter whether they come from Paris or Lille ?
That's what I've decided. In fact having checked their work address and the fact that she emailed me on her office email I've decided I'm ok with it.
Interestingly, they only work (and presumably live) about a couple of hours away from us in Bordeaux. I'm surprised they are bothering to come and stay for 2 weeks this close to home.
farley

Post by farley »

I’m not familiar with Abritals T&Cs. It does surprise me that guests don’t have to put in a home address, but realize I’m ‘old school’ 😀

As for holidays two hours drive from home, there could be lots of reasons. It could just be they hate traveling but still want a change of scenery or maybe they’re considering relocating?

Hopefully they’ll be fine🤞
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

farley wrote:I’m not familiar with Abritals T&Cs. It does surprise me that guests don’t have to put in a home address,
Hopefully they’ll be fine🤞
They may well have to. But for "security" Vrbo/Abritel doesn't pass on to the host the guest's address - heaven only knows why???
So the only way to get it is to have one's own booking form. And probably the guests cannot understand why.
Thanks for the fingers crossed.
CSE

Post by CSE »

SPJ I cannot find anything on your website about complying with Guests information with regards to complying with GDPR and NISD. Has it something to do with that?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

CSE wrote:SPJ I cannot find anything on your website about complying with Guests information with regards to complying with GDPR and NISD. Has it something to do with that?
As the inquiry and information is transmitted via the Abritel portal then surely the GDPR regulations apply to Abritel, not the owner of the gite as they do not hold the data ?
What would Plato do ?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

This has nothing to do with my site. They have found me via Abritel and they have no means of going onto my site because Vrbo does not let them have that information.
CSE

Post by CSE »

I am sorry I misread the bit about
I've asked our guest to fill in our booking form
I thought that was via your website.
Then has the guest complied with the information required by Abritel/VRBO? It is compulsory to provide an address?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

CSE wrote:Then has the guest complied with the information required by that website? It is compulsory to provide an address?
Sorry CSE, I think perhaps you have misunderstood. I have no idea what my guest has supplied to Abritel/Vrbo, because the platform does not provide me with that information. Vrbo have some spurious "confidentiality" reason for not giving me my guest's address. All the platform provides - once the guest has paid - is an email and a telephone number.

So in order to have more information about my guests - like names of all in the family and an address where they live - I email them MY booking form and ask them to complete it.

I've never had a guest refuse to provide a home address before, but since it looks like their work address is bona fide, I am going to stop worrying. Also, as bornintheuk has already pointed out, Abritel is the one being paid and quite frankly as we are on site, if I have concerns I will ask them to leave and all I will have lost (in what is already another non-year) is a couple of week's rental.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Having all the private details of guests means you can handle all the "issues" that may occur. I am pleased to read that.

Regarding all the private information you have gathered from previous compliant guests in the past I do hope you comply with any Privacy laws in France.