Complaints about cold shower

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Ocean Escape

Complaints about cold shower

Post by Ocean Escape »

We bought our house in Cornwall last summer which we are now using as a holiday let. We were left an Aqualisa shower over the bath, which is fed from the combi-boiler. It's actually a very good shower, with which we have no issues. However, we have had 2 feedback forms which have stated that the shower is cold or has too much pressure. We have never experienced these problems, but we know that with this sort of shower you need to let the water run hot before use. We have left laminated instructions on the optimal setting to accommodate the high water pressure, but to no avail. (I want to replace with a walk in shower but will still have the same problem once done)
Does anyone have any suggestions how we can address this? A sign near the shower advising users to run the water to hot before use? Where would I get such a sign.
All ideas and comments gratefully received.
Using our house to plan for a comfortable retirement.
My robotic lawnmower is my best friend
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I think you've answered your own question - yes a sign in the bathroom reminding them to let the water run hot.

As for the sign - well Etsy is full of craftspeople making signs. Pick one whose style you like and ask for a special commission with the wording you want.
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

Is it possible that the (thermostatic?) mixer valve isn't working properly. If they're infrequently used the cartridge can stiffen up. With hot and cold water flowing, exercise the valve by moving it to full hot and back to full cold a few times, making sure the outlet temperature changes as it should.
Drax

Post by Drax »

We had this problem once with our combi boiler fed shower after a holidaymaker complained the shower water was too cold.
We called out our plumber who found no fault and explained the issue concerning showers fed by combi boilers.
With these showers the user must turn up the temperature to maximum to allow the boiler to fire up. Then reduce the temperature accordingly.
We always meet and greet our guests and they are informed of this requirement on their arrival. We also leave written instructions as well.
Keep your powder dry.
Ocean Escape

Thank you

Post by Ocean Escape »

Well I’ve ordered a small(ish) acrylic sign to put on the shower wall, but I think that the personal touch that Drax describes is the best way to pre-empt grumbles about appliances when it’s clear they haven’t read the instructions. We regularly stay at the house between Lettings as we only let for 20 weeks so we know everything is in good working order - I think that is the general recommendation to owners &#128512;
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

It doesn't make sense to me as to why you have to let the water run hot before you use the shower. Anyone using the shower and finding it too cold will turn the temperature up until it reaches maximum which should increase the hot water flow. An increase in the hot water flow should fire the combi-boiler. I fail to see why it should be necessary to turn the temperature up to maximum to start with. After all, if someone else in the house is running a cold tap at the same time as you are switching on the shower, the effect at the combi boiler is going to be the same isn't it ?

You mentioned high water pressure. Is the shower a power-shower? It's not advised to have these fitted with combi-boilers.
Ocean Escape

Post by Ocean Escape »

It's not a power shower, and it's entirely normal that you have to allow time for the water to feed from the combi boiler to the shower at the other side of the house. The problem is that guests don't read the instructions that you've left to help them have a comfortable stay and then leave comments about the same appliances - in this instance if they're used to an electric shower you can turn it on and get a more or less instant hot shower and don't understand that the instructions are there for a reason! I think a polite warning sign in the actual shower at eye level will help - or at least I hope so!
joddle

Post by joddle »

We had a problem where the water pressure was too high in a rental and it caused the shower tray to fill up and overflow as the drain could not get rid of the water fast enough - it was easily fixed with a small pressure reducer inserted in at the outlet just at the beginning of the shower hose. No problems since and saved a lot of hot water!!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.