Cottages.com

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Cathy B

Cottages.com

Post by Cathy B »

Hi is my first time and due to start letting very soon - had decided to use cottages.com but after seeing posts in here from 2019 having second thoughts. Has anyone got recent experience of this company am in North Cornwall? Thanks any tips for first timer greatly appreciated I feel so stressed atm
new to this
Marks

Post by Marks »

Probably not a good idea to use your email address as a profile name unless you like spam.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Statto

Post by Statto »

It depends if you live local to your let and how hands on you want to be.

We used Cottages.com for our first season but we’re disappointed at number of bookings and the support they gave. I ended up using Airbnb to fill the weeks not booked by cottages (and ended up getting more bookings from Airbnb than through cottages). Their commission rates are quite high too, and for some short breaks off season We hardly made any money once the commission and running costs were taken into account.

We now use a combination of Airbnb, TA, VRBO and a local company. The vast majority of bookings are through Airbnb but it can be a hassle a times dealing with the queries. Also the bookings tend to be more last minute. But you do have overall control of your prices and calendar.

If you want hassle free bookings and don’t mind paying the commission then look to use a local agency, but if you’re willing to spend more time I’d look to take bookings directly.

Hope this helps. Agree on the previous comment about email address btw.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Marks wrote:Probably not a good idea to use your email address as a profile name unless you like spam.
Hi, I think what people are trying to say is that if you change your author name (so it isn’t your email address), it will change also on your first post above. A good idea to do it ASAP.

Good luck with the new business!