Do Covid restrictions mean I have a case to withhold taxes?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Chrisax - perhaps before Circé reprises her namesake, let's simplify matters.

In short there are three categories of people who own homes in Nice:
1 People whose main residence is the property in Nice
2 People whose main residence is not in France
3 People whose main residence is elsewhere in France

Taxe d'Habitation (like other French property taxes) is calculated according to a base valuation to which is applied the City's rate for the year.
For those whose main residence is Nice the Tax Authorities (who also apply income tax) know their circumstances - age, dependants, income etc. So they adjust the TdeH according to standard rules so that the level is fair.
For foreigners whose main residence is not in Nice, they have no such data (save tax returns of rental income) so they leave the Taxe at the standard rate.
For the third category, French residents from elsewhere, I do not know, but I suspect it's the same as foreign residents

So you live overseas, they have no knowledge of your circumstances or income, so they can only apply the full amount.
Nobody is discriminating against you, that is simply the system. Most countries (including the UK) differentiate between residents and outsiders when it comes to owning property.
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Circé

Post by Circé »

If your principal residence is not in France, whatever nationality you are, you cannot claim any of the tax reductions on taxe d'habitation for your second home(s) in France.

That is made clear in one of the official sources posted by Anno.
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

Circé wrote:If your principal residence is not in France, whatever nationality you are, you cannot claim any of the tax reductions on taxe d'habitation for your second home(s) in France.

That is made clear in one of the official sources posted by Anno.
Also if your principal residence is in France as I mentioned earlier
Honi soit qui peu y boit
Circé

Post by Circé »

Agreed!
Circé

Post by Circé »

To lighten the mood of this discussion:
Nice or Norfolk?
https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/business/c ... lk-7857332
chrishax

Post by chrishax »

and that is exactly my situation in Nice...the flat is rented - or would be rented - half the year, and we would live in Nice the other half...

...before Brexit and before Covid...

The main difference is French towns charge extra for the taxes for second homes, while in the Uk they (used to) discount taxes for second homes , because they make no draw on the services, as per my original point.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Not quite. They just don't give a discount for second homes. Also richer residents, who don't qualify for any reduction, pay the full whack, just like you.
chrishax

Post by chrishax »

Moliere wrote:Not quite. They just don't give a discount for second homes. Also richer residents, who don't qualify for any reduction, pay the full whack, just like you.
Who said I was rich? My total worldwide earnings last year were 8k euros and this year 12k euros. So I'm normally below taxable income thresholds. I would basically be at zero net annual income with these 2 taxes plus the copropriety charges

Whether they charge a premium for non main homes or don't give discounts for second homes is a moot point of wordology, but there are premiums taxed for homes which are not main homes, even if in my case they would be occupiable all year round.
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

[quote="chrishax Whether they charge a premium for non main homes or don't give discounts for second homes is a moot point of wordology, but there are premiums taxed for homes which are not main homes, even if in my case they would be occupiable all year round.[/quote]

Difficult to see where you are going with this Chris. It is just a fact of life in France, which no-one (except the government) can change, that taxe d'habitation on main résidences is being phased out but remains on second or holiday homes whether you have access or not due to current restrictions.

If you choose to live in your property year round, it will become your principal residence and you will no longer have to pay this tax.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
chrishax

Post by chrishax »

My point was to challenge the status quo, in unfair circumstances, not to confirm it on a conformist basis.

There was a little helpful advice within the post, by one poster, but in general the posters were very pro-status-quo.. allbeit while being quite thorough or terse in various cases.

So that's end of topic within this forum I would think... I will update only if my appeal has a result.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Just a quick rebuttal, Chrishax, if you read my post again, you'll note I didn't say you were rich. I said rich residents, of which I imagine there are plenty in Nice. You are not a resident, but you and they share the requirement to pay taxes in full, without discount.
CSE

Post by CSE »

chrishax wrote:My point was to challenge the status quo, in unfair circumstances, not to confirm it on a conformist basis.

There was a little helpful advice within the post, by one poster, but in general the posters were very pro-status-quo.. allbeit while being quite thorough or terse in various cases.

So that's end of topic within this forum I would think... I will update only if my appeal has a result.
Good luck on your challenge. The Mouvement des gilets jaunes has fizzled out.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Circé

Post by Circé »

Chrishax, you are a new member here. Implying that in the majority we have been unhelpful isn't going to endear you to us!

I and others have given you the facts of the situation to the best of our ability, as forum participants bothering to take the time to share our knowledge with others, and to learn from them on the way.

I wish you well in whatever appeal it is that you are going to make.

ps
Norfolk is a good place to live, but the natives don't always take kindly to outsiders with second homes, especially in the NW of the County :wink: