PAT testing

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
rotaman

PAT testing

Post by rotaman »

Is PAT testing of electrical goods in a FHL compulsory, can the owner carry out a PAT test and make a note of it in a book or do you need to get an electrician to carry out the testing once every couple years, what's the procedure.
canal boating 'the fastest way to slow down'
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Not actually compulsory by law but considered good practice

Yes anyone can carry out a PAT test with the appropriate training

We have it done annually by an electrician who gives us a spreadsheet of what was tested. when and the result.

It's not expensive. We also check all electricals visually between guests to check for any obvious defects like fraying cords or damage which again is good practice
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Is this law from June 2021?
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Karen&John

Post by Karen&John »

We have it done annually by an electrician who gives us a spreadsheet of what was tested. when and the result
Likewise, annual PA testing, along with a 5 yearly electrical inspection report of the property and a yearly inspection and report on our pool room.
This is what I would expect if I were a guest.
K&J
LazyPuffin

Post by LazyPuffin »

Don't know about England but EICR & PAT testing is now compulsory in Scotland. I looked into PAT testing myself but, to do it properly, you need some expensive kit which (should) be calibrated each year. I worked out it was cheaper to get someone in.
ARealHighlander

Post by ARealHighlander »

Portable Appliance Testing is not law it is considered good practise, what IS the law is the Electricity at Work Act 1989 which states all electrical systems must be safe and maintained. As part of that Portable Appliance Testing guidelines were produced. I do my own however I do have a City & Guilds in PAT, and I happen to own the correct equipment to do it.

It is usually easier to get an electrician to do it, note that they do not have to be tested every year as many tell you, if you look at the PAT guidelines, they give suggested inspection periods, as its all about the risk of something happening in between inspections. e.g. an extension lead used across a floor is more likely to be damaged than a TV sitting in a corner never moving.

In Scotland we are already required to carry out an EICR every 5 years, England is about to have to do the same (Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020)