Rough Income from a Cheap Chalet (£500-600wk at peak)

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
jazzuk777

Rough Income from a Cheap Chalet (£500-600wk at peak)

Post by jazzuk777 »

Hi all

Being fed up with working for other people and having some capital (and not needing a huge income) I'm thinking of quitting one of my jobs and buying 2-3 cheap chalets in Norfolk to let out as we already have a holiday cottage close by and know the area quite well.

I'm trying to do the maths to understand the likely income from this, as currently we just let our place to friends/family ad hoc and don't run as a business or promote heavily so it only really rents in school holidays to allow us to break even plus a little.

Does anyone have a similar place that would be happy to share details of the rental and what they charge (e.g. a link to their bookings page), how much of the year they manage to rent out and what it makes?

I'd be very grateful.
Small Victorian terrace in Caister let to friends and family
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

You can do a search on your chosen area for chalets and look at their prices that way. Probably more comprehensive than asking an owner to share their information as they may get the same regulars returning year on year.
You will be at a disadvantage over small business rate relief though as you will have multiple properties.

In fact, if you save the sites you can monitor the availability as well.

Cant help with the rest of your query though
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

zebedee wrote:You can do a search on your chosen area for chalets and look at their prices that way. Probably more comprehensive than asking an owner to share their information as they may get the same regulars returning year on year.
You will be at a disadvantage over small business rate relief though as you will have multiple properties.

In fact, if you save the sites you can monitor the availability as well.

Cant help with the rest of your query though
It's not so much that I don't have an idea of rates, but not what is a reasonable projection of booking quantities (and allowing for building up of business or course)
Small Victorian terrace in Caister let to friends and family