Emergency numbers

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Circé

Emergency numbers

Post by Circé »

Right now I know you are all more worried about will there be any bookings or not but in the meantime whilst you are also updating your house info can I just give you all, wherever you live or rent out, a big important reminder:
PLEASE leave the emergency numbers in several places, not just in an online housebook or one that gets lost under a coffee table. A big wall sticker in the kitchen or hallway for example where everyone can see them
PLUS your address and a simple descriptive note of how to find your house in the local language

OH and I have just spent a traumatic afternoon, firstly being contacted by a distraught wife who couldn't call the emergency number, then OH having to give them directions whilst I ran back to my car in my wellies with dogs (I was out for a walk) to get there... too late, but we did our best. The ambulance teams were quick and well-equipped, but still couldn't save him.

And that was for long-time residents in a foreign country, not guests, but in the panic she lost her cool and forgot what number to call....
farley

Post by farley »

I’m so sorry to hear of your dreadful experience and that the outcome was so very sad.

For those owning French property I’ve found this leaflet extremely valuable.
One can print an emergency leaflet for English Speakers from this website.
http://www.getogether-france.org/information/

I’m sure we all hope we will never have to use it . I must admit it’s one of my feared scenarios. &#9785;&#65039;
Drax

Post by Drax »

How awful and what a traumatic experience for you.
We do display relevant phone numbers i.e. local doctors surgeries, nearest A&E Hospital, our home address and phone number etc in our Guest Information Folder.
Because we do not get many foreign guests we make an assumption that all our British guests would know to phone 999 in the event of an emergency.
Your post is a reminder that if we do get foreign guests we shall display the emergency phone number and information in a prominent position in the house.
Keep your powder dry.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Nothing so tragic has happened at our rental so far, but I absolutely get the point of the warning. We put emergency numbers in an information sheet, which we email to guests before arrival, but who is going to find that in a hurry?

Today, I shall transfer those number to an A4 sheet in a large font and have it laminated for conspicuous display. (Something to do in lockdown!)