Where do most of your bookings come from?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
susanj

Where do most of your bookings come from?

Post by susanj »

We are in the US and have been on VRBO for 18 years for one property and 13 years the other. We added Airbnb 3 years ago and already it's overtaken VRBO. 70-80% of our bookings. I'm not really sure why. They both have a traveler service fee and Airbnb's is actually a larger percentage.

In New Zealand, Airbnb has discontinued the traveler service fee and instead charging hosts 15%! It is coming to parts of the U.S. in November.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

ABB dropping the traveller fee has been on the cards for a while. Seems to me that it's just a marketing exercise to make guests think they're getting better value. In reality, surely all the owners will put their base prices up to cancel out the increase so guests will end up paying the same as before? That's what we'll do (if we go back to ABB).
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
susanj

Post by susanj »

At first I suppose Vrbo travelers will switch to Airbnb since it’ll cost them less. Until Airbnb hosts start raising their prices.

But can you imagine increasing your price 15%?!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

But can you imagine increasing your price 15%?!
Yes - ABB guests have already shown that they'll pay it. When we first listed with them I was amazed that guests would pay what I was charging PLUS the booking fee.

Guests will end up paying the same as they are now and we'll end up earning the same as we do now. The only difference is that ABB will be earning all their commission from us and none from the guest. I wonder if that will make them a bit more focused on keeping owners happy? Probably not.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth