A couple of documents

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
costa-brava

A couple of documents

Post by costa-brava »

This is really for owners who are UK citizens resident in Spain. We've looked at many documents that pertain to your property but there are two personal documents that could be important for going in and out of the country in the next year or so. It was going to be difficult enough with the Boris Brexit but now we have stop-start quarantine rules that change daily. As we move from 2020 to 2021 it's not looking like a happy new year.
Anyway the two documents: I think everybody knows that if you are resident in Spain you have to be registered on the "Padron" list of the local authority. Now, I think, the "certificado de padronamiento" could we worth carrying in your flight bag as you travel around. If you already have one, chances are it's out of date as it only has a life of 3 months. You can get a full certificate or there is a simpler "volante" extract. It's usually free from the local town hall. It shows that you are resident here on the day of issue.
The second document that most people will not have is "certificado de residencia fiscal". You get this from the local tax office free (Agencia Tributaria) and I'm fairly sure you can also get it online. This is valid for one year. It proves your a tax-paying resident.
You aren't often asked for these but if you find yourself stopped at passport control or if you're having trouble with a stroppy bank official it's nice to be able to produce them. We all have the green "registro de extranjeros" thing but this only says that you registered. The other two are better proof that you are still a Spanish resident.
Sounds pessimistic but I like to cover my butt.