Disposable gloves

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
newtimber

Disposable gloves

Post by newtimber »

The new cleaning protocols require the cleaner to wear disposable gloves during cleaning then change them to fresh ones to deal with the fresh linen.
Having used them for a few hours myself, I find that they are completely wet inside and cause skin problems.
I can see it is necessary for dealing with disinfectants and for taking the dirty linen off the beds, but what is the purpose of wearing them during the clean? And why wear them for the fresh laundry? Surely if your hands are washed before you touch the fresh laundry, then providing your skin is not broken, it cannot be necessary?
Alternatively, is there a better alternative to the disposable plastic gloves which are so bad for the skin?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Our vet here in France is anti-gloves, except for a very specific short-term task or in a special environment like an operating theatre which is very controlled. She says they give a false sense of security. touch something contaminated with the gloves, then touch something clean and there is cross contamination. Her view is it is much better to wash / use hand sanitisers throughout the task - be it shopping or cleaning a gite.
I agree with you Newtimber - better to wash hands thoroughly before handling clean laundry.
I think through all of this everyone (expert and layperson alike) is learning as we go along. Common sense and prudence need also to be brought into the equation. I'm taking advice from everywhere, French protocols, Scottish protocols, my vet, this forum, another forum. By this time next year we'll be much better at it! :)
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I think you make a good point Newtimber.

The purposes of the gloves are:
1. To protect you from coming in contact with the virus, and
2. To protect others from you (if you are unknowingly carrying the virus).

(Edited here to add: Purpose of the gloves 3. To protect you from suggestions that you are responsible for illness in others; you are protected because you can legally swear you have followed the guidance and standards about your cleaning protocols).

If you wash and iron your own laundry then it seems a bit over the top to have to wear gloves just for making up the beds (although is it possible for you to touch the bedframe??)

I think the UK guidance (and maybe other guidance) was written as though you would be instructing employees, or using agency staff to carry out the tasks unsupervised, which isn’t always the case. A bit of common sense is needed in adapting the guidance to your property and circumstances.

That saying, a dusting of talc on your hands is commonly used before pulling on gloves, to prolong their use by keeping them dry. You might want to try different materials as some gloves are latex and others plastic. A latex sensitivity is extremely common and your sore hands may be partly as a result of that.