Social distancing and bed linen change mid booking

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Fingerscrossed

Social distancing and bed linen change mid booking

Post by Fingerscrossed »

Hi - Last year was our first year and our bookings were mainly short stays.
This year our 1st booking after reopening is for 14 days. We are still with the 2m rule where we live and meeting with others outside etc.
I am a bit bothered what to do about the bed linen. Under normal circumstances, I would normally wander down and ask if they wanted the beds changed, towels, bins emptied etc. If they did I would offer to do it or give them the linen so they could change it themselves, asking them to leave the dirty linen in the porch in a bag.
However, I'm not at all sure what to do under current circumstances. Has anyone else got a plan for this? I'd be grateful for any ideas.
ARealHighlander

Post by ARealHighlander »

For stays over 7 days we leave out additional set of bedding and towels and they can change them themselves if the wish.

They will all go in the wash afterwards just in case.

At the end of stay we are asking they strip their beds and place all with towels in supplied bags.
zebedee

Re: Social distancing and bed linen change mid booking

Post by zebedee »

Fingerscrossed wrote:Hi - Last year was our first year and our bookings were mainly short stays.
This year our 1st booking after reopening is for 14 days. We are still with the 2m rule where we live and meeting with others outside etc.
I am a bit bothered what to do about the bed linen. Under normal circumstances, I would normally wander down and ask if they wanted the beds changed, towels, bins emptied etc. If they did I would offer to do it or give them the linen so they could change it themselves, asking them to leave the dirty linen in the porch in a bag.
However, I'm not at all sure what to do under current circumstances. Has anyone else got a plan for this? I'd be grateful for any ideas.
The advice is not to offer mid stay cleans under the current Covid situation.
Best to do what is said in the above post.
KathyG

Re: Social distancing and bed linen change mid booking

Post by KathyG »

Fingerscrossed wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would normally wander down and ask if they wanted the beds changed, towels, bins emptied etc. If they did I would offer to do it or give them the linen so they could change it themselves, asking them to leave the dirty linen in the porch in a bag.
I think you could do the same FingersCrossed, except for offering to do it for them. You could still drop off clean bedlinen and they then put all the dirty stuff in bags which you then leave for 3 days before washing. Or better still do they have the facilities to wash and dry it all themselves?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

I am NOT asking my guests to strip their beds at the end of their stay. Instead I will ask them to leave everything in situ. I am fortunate I have at least a week between bookings so I am leaving the cottage untouched for three days before I go in to start cleaning and washing bed linen.
There is increasing evidence that this virus is airborne, which means that there needs to be a special protocol around the handling of linen. It's important that used linen is NOT shaken out and I cannot control my guests behaviour in this regard.
The Scottish protocol has a good suggestion which is to roll linen away from you so you are minimising what lands on your own body.
Like others, I will have clean linen for the mid-week already in the cottage for them to change if they want, plus linen bags in which to put their dirty linen. They will have to store the dirty linen in the cottage until they leave. I won't be taking it from them during their stay. That just increases the risk that I am transporting the virus back to our main house.
I think Kathy has a good point about whether they can wash their linen themselves. (Certainly ours can and probably will want to.) If so, they need to be instructed to wash their linen on a HOT wash - 60°C - no being economical in this environment. Bear in mind that in an ideal scenario you would wash the changed linen AGAIN after they have left as you cannot trust what they have done. (As we are supposed to do with ALL the crockery / cutlery etc.)
(I'm also posting this in the thread on sharing our experience on managing the changeover) viewtopic.php?t=29423