superking beds... does size matter?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Ivy

superking beds... does size matter?

Post by Ivy »

I've just placed an order for twin wooden based beds with the plan to adjoin securely + Zip link mattresses to convert to s/king. However I opted for the standard 190cm length and am now having a wobble. There' time to change my order - but is the extra 10cm a deal breaker? The room is a squeeze so I decided not at the time but it was late and there was gin. Overall there are heigh restrictions within the cottage so I'm not anticipating too tall a general customer on that basis!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Can you get the mattress to fit? If the mattress overhangs the bed frames by 10cm I don't think that would work very well.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Hello Ivy, good luck with your new venture. I remember reading elsewhere that one thing to bear in mind is whether you can get fitted sheets / mattress protectors / mattress covers etc for the longer super king size especially when it is split into two singles. If you don't have fitted sheets then presumably it'll be less of an issue.

We've got standard single beds that make up into a standard length super king size and certainly no-one's complained, but then we haven't had very tall guests!
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

The mattresses will be the same length as the beds so no overhang issue, and will use flat sheets if fitted not suitable when adjoined - so that shouldn't be a problem. The problem is having so much choice I think!

std singles mats are 190 long, whereas std s/king is 200. however HCB sell linked "s/king" mattresses at 190 or 200 so it can be either for my case, but my question is really whether guests would have an issue if the bed was 10cm shorter than a domestic s/king they may be used to at home? Maybe I'm drilling down too much but as such an expensive outlay I feel I'm getting my linens in a twist about all the details!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Many people won’t book a property with a standard double, or maybe even a king (5ft wide). It’s the width that’s the key factor. Additional length is a bonus, but not at the expense of not being able to move around the bed easily.
Moonshine

Post by Moonshine »

I don’t know about a ‘deal breaker’, but I think 200cm is better. That’s the length of bed I prefer for myself, although I’m only 5ft 9ins tall, because I don’t sleep with my toes pointing straight upwards! If your bed has a footboard, so stopping someone tall from sticking their toes out, I think you definitely need 200cm. If it hasn’t, then you could probably get away with 190cm.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

greenbarn wrote:Many people won’t book a property with a standard double, or maybe even a king (5ft wide). It’s the width that’s the key factor. Additional length is a bonus, but not at the expense of not being able to move around the bed easily.
Before we had a kingsize bed for ourselves and knew better, we bought doubles for all our rooms. Hasn't had any negative effect on bookings, AND they all have footbeds. That's another mistake we won't make when they're due for replacement. :wink:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."