Bookings now that we can open in July

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
aloneifly

Bookings now that we can open in July

Post by aloneifly »

Was hoping and expecting a flurry of enquiries after latest relaxations.
Hasn't happened yet. I am being impatient?
Anyone got an increase in enquiries or bookings since govt announced we can open from July 14th?
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Yes
Cymraes

Re: Bookings now that we can open in July

Post by Cymraes »

aloneifly wrote:Was hoping and expecting a flurry of enquiries after latest relaxations.
Hasn't happened yet. I am being impatient?
Anyone got an increase in enquiries or bookings since govt announced we can open from July 14th?
Other than in England I think people are waiting for us to actually open and for some news on pubs and restaurants.

Certainly in Wales, Drakeford is being so weasel worded we can't actually be sure we can open on 13th and pubs and restaurants have no timetable at all. England looks the safer bet for July
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Holiday boom: 'It's bonkers. The phone has not stopped ringing' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53164243

The number of enquiries will be increased because many of us are leaving vacant periods between bookings, so the availability is less than it should be.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

OK - spoke too soon.

The phone went mad yesterday and I'm close to full for the summer now other than the first couple of weeks after opening date which is definitely down to Drakeford not indicating when pubs/restaurants can open.
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

We took two bookings for this year and one for next year this week. I think the UK market will be very busy as long as we don’t see a significant spike in cases. Our place in Norfolk has very few bookings between end of Sept and end of March. I reckon the season will be longer this year.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

The autumn / winter bookings worry me.

When the colder weather comes, the virus will live longer and spread more easily - think about how many people catch colds and then there is the seasonal flu.....

It may be that we will have more lockdowns then, which will mean cancelling bookings again.

I expect we won’t be out of this situation before having to plan rates for next year. I, like many others, am currently leaving a week between new bookings In the summer ( can’t think how else to manage summer when people book full weeks) and at least 72 hours for autumn breaks, Which tend to be short breaks.

How long is this sustainable for the self catering industry? Prices may have to rise quite a bit.