Covid-19 protocols

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Out of Eden sell Packs of handset bags. They are very good. We tried one at home and the handset chosen for the experiment is still in the bag! :D
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Sunbeam wrote:Is it not easier to clean the remote control with disinfectant between guests?
Possibly, but I'm worried that repeated cleaning will eventually wear the numbers off the buttons, and, if liquid gets inside the remote, it might damage it. Also, the bag is a smooth surface so I know it's completely sanitised, whereas I can't be sure the sanitiser will get into all the nooks and crannies in between the buttons.

Another factor is that we're off site so we're relying on cleaners who might not be as careful with the remotes as I would.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

zebedee wrote:Out of Eden sell Packs of handset bags. They are very good. We tried one at home and the handset chosen for the experiment is still in the bag! :D
I was going to get those but they were constantly out of stock in late June! I ended up getting standard resealable bags which are twice as wide as necessary but do the job.

I've given so much thought to the problems of cleaning remote controls that I'll never look at one in a hotel room the same way again! I think I'll be packing one of those plastic bags in my suitcase from now on.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Joanna wrote: I've given so much thought to the problems of cleaning remote controls that I'll never look at one in a hotel room the same way again! I think I'll be packing one of those plastic bags in my suitcase from now on.
I don't think I'll ever look at any hotel / restaurant / gite cleaning the same way again! Let alone the remote! :)
Drax

Post by Drax »

SPJ wrote:
Joanna wrote: I've given so much thought to the problems of cleaning remote controls that I'll never look at one in a hotel room the same way again! I think I'll be packing one of those plastic bags in my suitcase from now on.
I don't think I'll ever look at any hotel / restaurant / gite cleaning the same way again! Let alone the remote! :)
We clean our FHL ourselves, having spent over 3 hours this morning pedantically cleaning as per Covid procedures. It is amazing how much more dirt, dust, cobwebs, the ubiquitous spider etc, there is to be found when going through the house with a 'fine tooth comb'.
I estimate that it takes my wife and I at least 4 hours to clean the house which equates to 8 hours total, all this for a small 2 bedroomed bungalow and that does not include outside work, cutting lawns, sweeping paths and drives etc.
The house will be cleaned by tomorrow, ready for our guests who arrive on Sunday.
We live next to 2 holiday cottages and of course we see the cleaners arrive and then when they leave approximately 2 hours later (I could be accused of being a curtain twitcher).
I find it surprising that they can complete their cleaning during this time period, especially because both of these houses are considerately larger than our holiday let.
Is it this wonderful anti virus spray I keep hearing about that makes their cleaning work so much less time consuming?
Keep your powder dry.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

What changed things for me Drax was when I put my reading glasses on! Oh my! All those little bits of dirt, smears etc that I'd never noticed before.
Couldn't agree more about the time it takes. We too have just a 2 bed cottage.
The spiders are a real pain! If I finish a day or two early there is no way I cannot do a final thorough dust and hoover the day they arrive - all those floaty spider trails wafting across everywhere. AAAGH!
I had to give up any attempt to not use the hoover because of "aerosoling". So be it.
Amanda Dorcas

Post by Amanda Dorcas »

I leave hand soap at all sinks. I also put a hand sanitizer pump just inside the front door. It gets used and has never been taken away. :D
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Amanda Dorcas wrote:I also put a hand sanitizer pump just inside the front door. It gets used and has never been taken away. :D
Ours did.
farley

Post by farley »

I’m currently looking at soap and sanitizer gel dispensers. The type that are fixed to the wall. Hoping to stop them going ‘walk about’ &#128512;
Has anyone got any advice as to which type to buy?
Are auto / no touch reliable?
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

farley wrote:I’m currently looking at soap and sanitizer gel dispensers. The type that are fixed to the wall. Hoping to stop them going ‘walk about’ &#128512;
Has anyone got any advice as to which type to buy?
Are auto / no touch reliable?
I'd be wary of any dispenser unless the dispenser is over a sink or has something to catch the drips.

You'd want the dispenser at the entrance and the risk of an auto-touch is that someone might activate it accidentally in passing - or indeed it might be fun for a child - and the lotion ends up being a slip hazard on the floor.
farley

Post by farley »

Good point re accidentally activated dispenser. Thank you.
I was considering placing a hand sanitizer near the front door as it seems a good place to catch ‘incoming’ virus . The National Trust are doing this in their properties but of course they have a kindly person overseeing its use &#128578;
I’m concerned about children playing with hand gel dispensers so more thought will have to go into this .
One of our local pubs has positioned their dispensers about a metre off the ground but this means shorter kiddies risk getting gel in their eyes&#128546; Not good.