Covid - rules for cleaning accommodation

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
farley

Post by farley »

This thread has resulted in my reading a lot about aerosols created by flushing the loo, general cleaning, coughing and merely breathing indoors!
Fascinating stuff.

On the more esthetic side it saddens me that the things that make our gites family friendly will probably be removed from our properties.
No books, toys, rugs, communal spaces like the playbarn ‘off limits’.
No idea if I’d keep sunloungers out around the pool. Would guests just have to put a towel on the lawn to sunbathe?
There seems to be no end to the questions that keep popping into my mind.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

I'm lucky farley in that I only have the one gite, so I'm assuming it's ok to keep loungers by the pool. The cushions come with removable covers which I can wash. I think what I will do is keep them to the minimum - so two guests, two loungers.

If you have more than one gite, could you designate a specific area of the pool to each gite and ask them to keep within that space? I can't see the pool itself being a problem as the chlorine should kill the virus.

I'm also lucky that one family has been before and knows how the cottage normally looks, so will be pretty ok with it. The others, though, coming for the first time, yes it's going to look very strange.
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

farley wrote:This thread has resulted in my reading a lot about aerosols created by flushing the loo, general cleaning, coughing and merely breathing indoors!
Fascinating stuff.

On the more esthetic side it saddens me that the things that make our gites family friendly will probably be removed from our properties.
No books, toys, rugs, communal spaces like the playbarn ‘off limits’.
No idea if I’d keep sunloungers out around the pool. Would guests just have to put a towel on the lawn to sunbathe?
There seems to be no end to the questions that keep popping into my mind.
Communal spaces being off limits currently includes communal pools. There is no date as yet when this will be relaxed.

We have posted a request for more information a couple of days ago but havent had a response.

VT
leon

Post by leon »

Homeaway:
Guidelines for owners and property managers for enhanced cleaning and disinfection of holiday rentals

Support for guests
Support good hand hygiene for guests and anyone involved with the property by providing sufficient hand sanitiser, antibacterial soap products at property entry points and key areas, and also encouraging hand washing regularly with water and soap for at least 20 seconds
Implement social distancing policies during check-in and check-out, and during any interactions with guests, staff and the local community. When possible, encourage minimising these interactions
Recommend removing shoes when entering the property and leaving them at the entrance (if possible, outside)
Inform guests on how they can contribute in prevention, and actions to take if they identify symptoms (refer to WHO, or local government resources)
Cleaning and disinfection
Consider providing cleaning and disinfecting products for guests to use, along with instructions; antibacterial hand wash and additional personal hygiene products are also nice to have on hand for guestsIf guests clean the property themselves, be sure to assess the results and the overall cleanliness of the property and to implement an additional cleaning if necessary; regardless, implement disinfection as described below
Cleaning equipment should be cleaned and disinfected before and after use to minimise the risk of contamination
Cleaning products, personal protective equipment (PPE) and tools should be in good condition and supplied appropriately for the size and usage of the propertyPersonal protective equipment (PPE) typically includes disposable single-use gloves, masks and shoe covers, as well as reusable eye protectionAny single-use equipment should be disposed of safely after use
Cleaning equipment typically includes brushes, sponges, microfiber rags and mops with replaceable heads
All equipment should be fit for purpose, and approved or recommended by the local authoritiesB.
Cleaners and training
Should be trained on how to use and care for and properly dispose of personal protective equipment (PPE)Should be trained on properly using cleaning, disinfecting and chemical products (e.g. germicides) and on safe waste disposal
Should always use fit-for-purpose PPE during the cleaning process
Single-use PPE should be safely disposed of to minimise risk of contamination
Should avoid touching their face during the cleaning process, as well as any unnecessary contact with surfaces, including personal belongings
Should implement enhanced hand hygiene (washing both hands and forearms for at least twenty seconds) before and after removing gloves
Cleaning and disinfection process
Cleaning and disinfecting are two different steps in the overall process, and both are required to lower the risk of contamination.
Cleaning removes germs, dirt and impurities from surfaces or objects, by using soap (or detergent) and water to physically remove germs from surfaces. This process does not necessarily kill germs, but by removing them, it lowers their numbers and the risk of spreading infection.
Disinfecting kills germs on surfaces or objects. Disinfecting works by using chemicals to kill germs on surfaces or objects. This process does not necessarily clean dirty surfaces or remove germs, but by killing germs on a surface after cleaning, it can further lower the risk of spreading infection.Sanitising lowers the number of germs on surfaces or objects. This process works by either cleaning or disinfecting surfaces or objects to lower the risk of spreading infection.Prevent cross contamination by using specific equipment by area (room, bathroom, kitchen)Plan the process to start with lowest risk areas (bedroom, living room) to highest risk areas (kitchen, bathroom)
Define a cleaning checklist to help ensure completion and keep records (these can be useful in case of guest complaints)
Ventilate the property during and after the processIf guests clean the property themselves, be ready to assess the results and the overall cleanliness of the property and implement a cleaning step if necessary, and a disinfection step in any case, as described belowB.
Cleaning process
Clean with water and suitable detergent (WHO)
Use a detergent or soap and water, and leave to act for enough time, usually 3 to 5 minutes (WHO)
Rinse, dry and wipe to remove all productsClean and disinfect all cleaning equipmentDisinfect using the appropriate chemical per area. Most common EPA-registered household disinfectants should be effective for disinfection. A list of products that are EPA-approved for use against SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) is available here. Additional resources are also available on the WHO.Follow manufacturer’s instructions for all cleaning and disinfection products utilised (concentration, application method and contact time, etc.). Additionally, diluted household bleach solutions (at least 1000ppm sodium hypochlorite) can be used if appropriate for the surface. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for application, ensuring a contact time of at least 1 minute, and allowing proper ventilation during and after application. Check to ensure the product is not past its expiration date. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser. Unexpired household bleach will be effective against coronaviruses when properly diluted.
Prioritise high-touch surfaces such as
Door handlesControls and switches (e.g. light switches, cooking controls, television controls, fan pull chains)
Bathroom taps, toilet flush handles, toilet seats
Utensils, cutlery and crockery
Furniture such as chairs, tables and parts of the bed frames
Children facilities such as bunk beds, toys or play equipment (if not removed from property)
Linen, including those that appear unusedRefuse, recycling bins and any waste disposal containers
Cleaning equipment
Guest information, brochures, menus
Review linen management
Minimise handling of used linen to minimise risk of contamination, particularly shaking it
Wash linen at highest temperature, and dry completely before storing
Clean linen should be stored and handled separately from used linen (and changed between stays)
Any other solid/bulk waste should be handled separately, and first
To help holidaymakers’ peace of mind, partners might want to consider avoiding back-to-back stays. This will help minimise the likelihood of contamination by allowing enough time for cleaning and disinfection. Based on the recent information available, here are some time considerations for partners to help minimise the likelihood of infection:Once guests have checked out, waiting at least 3 hours before entering the property for cleaning
Letting the property remain empty for a total of 24 hours after previous stay check-out, including cleaning above
Note: while time between stays could help minimise likelihood of contamination, it does not replace enhanced cleaning processes
leon

Post by leon »

Homeaway also encourages owners to:
"Use accurate, reputable sources of information including the WHO, the CDC, and local authorities."
This was my original concern in this thread.
vacancesthezan

ADN, la fédération nationale des organismes institutionnels

Post by vacancesthezan »

Our local tourist have sprung into action again and have provided a very comprehensive document on all the rules concerning cleaning, disinfecting, prep-ing, welcoming, providing meals etc etc for both B&B and holiday rentals.

As yet it is only a provisional document but it is very comprehensive. Therefore too long to publish here. The tourist office have said they will send us the final version when it is ready.

I would be happy to send this on to anyone who would like to have the official guide (not necessarily the only one!!)

Stay safe!!

VT
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

leon wrote:Homeaway:

Support good hand hygiene for guests and anyone involved with the property by providing sufficient hand sanitiser, antibacterial soap products at property entry points

It's interesting they talk about anti-bacterial soap - https://en.unesco.org/news/how-soap-kil ... d-19-hands
as this seems to be no more effective than ordinary soap. It's anti-viral stuff that's needed
leon

Post by leon »

Bacterial pneumonia is common in Covid-19.
farley

Post by farley »

Hi VT
I'd very much like to see the final document when its available.
Many thanks
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

farley wrote:Hi VT
Many thanks
Noted Farley. Will do.

It is a holiday weekend, so we dont expect that the tourist office will be working. They are a lot better at the office part than they are the tourist.

VT
farley

Post by farley »

Thank you :D
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

vacancesthezan wrote:
farley wrote:Hi VT
Many thanks
Noted Farley. Will do.

It is a holiday weekend, so we dont expect that the tourist office will be working. They are a lot better at the office part than they are the tourist.

VT
Somewhat belatedly the ADN Tourisme have published their definitive rules for cleaning Gites & Chambes d'hotes in France. Our tourist office have sent them on to us. We have not had chance to study them in detail, but we think that they may be more relaxed than the previous version.

I couldnt find a way to upload them so here is a link for another tourist office who have very kindly provided a direct link !

https://www.valleedeladrome-tourisme.co ... ns-utiles/

Hope all is going well with the summer for everyone.

Stay cool, stay safe and stay covid free!!

VT
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thanks VT.
Circé

Post by Circé »

I do my best to ensure my safety and those of the next guests.
That document contains some sane practical advice, roughly what I have been doing anyway except that I wear 'normal' shoes, as I do in shops and other public places (!)
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

Circé wrote:I do my best to ensure my safety and those of the next guests.
That document contains some sane practical advice, roughly what I have been doing anyway except that I wear 'normal' shoes, as I do in shops and other public places (!)
We are with you on their shoe idea! It may prevent the spread of covid but will certainly result in a slip or fall on our mainly tiled floors or going up or down stairs - potentially a broken bone or two! No protocol for that.

VT