Insurance Claim - Loss of Income

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Yorkshire Lass

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

Our policy is through Argenta (bought via their agents Simpson & Parsons). This particular policy which has a specific 'notifiable disease' clause is one of the selected policies the judges are looking at in the current test case the FCA have taken forward. Just wondered if any other owners on here have the same policy - feel free to pm me.
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

www.kingshousescarborough.com
www.facebook.com/scarboroughholidaycottage
www.sandsendpavilion.co.uk
Tealight

Post by Tealight »

I have had my renewal quote through and "notifiable disease" has now been excluded and now it is just "natural disaster". And my insurance is £100 higher than last year!
Walter

Post by Walter »

zebedee wrote:I think any affected members of the forum should get together and share notes.
I’ll pm you. Hopefully others will make contact
Hello

I am new to this forum as I recently found it when looking into my claim for denial of access to my holiday let under an insurance policy set up through Schofields so wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I let the property through Sykes and have been made an offer for loss of profit under the denial of access clause for bookings that were cancelled or postponed on or after 23rd March which were originally due to take place during the initial period of the English lockdown. However, in the week before 23rd March when essential travel was only government advice, I allowed a number of customers with holidays booked for April and May to postpone their original holiday to a date in 2021. The loss adjuster is saying that these bookings are not covered as the government order was not made until 23rd March. If we had refused to allow customers to make amendments until after 23rd March then these would have been covered under the policy.

I don't think it is clear whether these bookings should be covered or not. Have any other members had a similar experience and, if so, had any success challenging it?
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Hi Walter, we're with Schofields and they wouldn't cover any bookings that were postponed or cancelled before 23rd March. In our case that wasn't a big deal so we didn't pursue it. I believe some owners have managed to get cover from 16th March as there was an announcement then that would be relevant. Try the Schofields Facebook Group - the details are on there somewhere:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/schofieldsgroup
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Walter

Post by Walter »

Thanks Jo. My partner has requested to join that Facebook group on a couple of occasions but has not been granted access. It's interesting to hear that others have had success though, so I will query again with Schofields.

Thanks again for your help.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Walter wrote:Thanks Jo. My partner has requested to join that Facebook group on a couple of occasions but has not been granted access. It's interesting to hear that others have had success though, so I will query again with Schofields.

Thanks again for your help.
I had to set up a personal Facebook page before I was allowed to join (I have one for the cottage, but resisted getting one for myself till that point.)

I’m afraid you will find claims cancelled 16-23 March for stays during the pandemic have been refused as the “decree” had not been made at that point. People have complained so there may be news about the outcome of complaints yet to come.