Guests with Coronavirus

For topics that are specific to Italy, please go here.
Sardiniavilla

Guests with Coronavirus

Post by Sardiniavilla »

What do we do if a guest gets sick whilst on holiday?
Even if they don't get sick, under Italian law if they have a fever, any symptoms or even if someone on their plane is sick, they are automatically legally obligated to quarantine "at home" for 2 weeks. So is everyone else in the party and anyone else also staying on site.
What happens then? Am I obligated to allow them to stay in the villa? If they refuse to pay for the extra 2 weeks (or more)? What about if I have another group booked in for that quarantine period? Do I have to cancel and refund with a penalty? Would I be subject to sanctions for booting them out at the end of the paid holiday? No other accommodation owner in their right mind would accept symptomatic guests or guests subject to quarantine (I mean, would you?) and they can't go home.
The reply from my local mayor was "nobody knows, we need to be patient" and until this is clarified I just can't see myself opening back up.
No, my insurance doesn't cover this scenario and most insurers are refusing to pay out for coronavirus expenses if people go ahead and travel right now.
farley

Post by farley »

Hi Sardiniavilla
These are the very concerns that have kept me awake at night recently.

We decided not to take guests this season as there are too many ‘unknowns’. The vast majority of our guests were more than happy to postpone their holidays .

Hopefully by next summer we will have a better understanding of what we need to do in circumstances you’ve described.

Difficult times and difficult decisions.
Financial hardship for a lot of us I fear☹️

Stay safe.