Managing the changeover - sharing our thoughts here

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
leon

Post by leon »

Let us know if you used it?
The company was first registered on 3rd June 2020 so there is nothing objective online.

Warnings & Advisories from the company:

Ventilate space after use. Pressurised container: may burst if heated. Extremely flammable aerosol. Keep out of reach of children. Use only as directed. Dispose of container in an appropriate local waste system. Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking. Do not spray on an open flame or other ignition source. Do not pierce or burn can, even after use. May cause drowsiness or dizziness. Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection. May produce an allergic reaction. Can cause serious eye irritation. Protect from sunlight. Do not expose to temperatures exceeding 50&#8304;C/122&#8304;F. On very rare occasions, smoke detectors can be sensitive to the fog created. Contact info@safe2stay.co.uk if concerned.

IF IN EYES: Rinse continuously for several minutes. Remove contact lenses if present and easy to do so. Continue rinsing. If irritation persists, consult your doctor.

Contains: METHANOL, PROPAN-2-OL, ETHANOL.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Norfolk Canary wrote:Our letting agent emailed me a couple of days ago to inform me that a local company was offering sanitising of properties by ‘fogging’ which I had never heard of. It lasts for 30 days apparently. They were quoting just under £100 for our one bed flat!! I did a bit of googling and came across this. You simply set the canisters off, close the door and leave it for 20 mins. Simple. I have order some and will be doing it myself. This may be a good alternative to leaving the property empty for a period between guests and something you can add to your promotional material to reassure prospective guests.
https://safe2stay.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw ... FYEALw_wcB
As well as the toxicity of whatever is in the "fog" as soon as you have guests you will have to redo the "fog". Sounds ridiculous to me.
What would Plato do ?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Don't know if this is going to work, but I've translated the French cleaning protocol and saved the document to Google.
If this hasn't worked and you would like a copy just send me a pm and I can email you a PDF copy of my translation.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WGy ... sp=sharing
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Looks like the link to my translation has worked, so just to say - I've used google translate so please excuse some of the English

The French approach is very prescriptive, so I'm using it as a very thorough checklist but also adapting it to suit my needs. For example it recommends not using a vacuum cleaner because it "aerosols" the virus. But I have to use a vacuum for bed bases, mattresses etc. So I am just going to use the vacuum early in the week (I have at least a week between each booking) and then let the virus settle and at the end of the cleaning every surface will be disinfected.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Another thought about the French protocol, which is they say remove all open condiments etc. In fact I'm asking my guests to either dispose of in the rubbish all opened bottles they've used while staying (or take them back home) and not to leave anything "for the next guests" eg part-used shampoo, odd tubs of yogurt in the fridge, etc.
Gazpacho

Post by Gazpacho »

Interesting thread on Mumsnet today about what guests are expecting in a holiday cottage post-Covid. Seems many are just expecting normal standards of cleanliness, and don't fully appreciate what problems owners might be facing this year (or next!)

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3938 ... hey-reopen
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

I had to stop reading. They have no idea! To expect a discount for a later check-in because it's going to take longer to clean!!! What planet are they on.
I certainly won't be offering anything fresh (like bread) that comes unwrapped. I will leave a welcome pack but it will only be things like wine, special biscuits in a sealed tin, small Bonne Maman jams and so on that I can thoroughly clean. Fresh baguettes / croissants, no way! Pre-packed long-life bread (ugh!) yes, because I can wipe the pack over with a soapy cloth.
The woman writing the thread also isn't thinking it through fully. She may be a silent carrier. If she is making stuff / baking for her guests she may infect them. Her responsibility is to have as little contact as possible with her guests at least for this year.
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

Don't know if this is going to work, but I've translated the French cleaning protocol and saved the document to Google.
I found this really useful - many thanks for posting it.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

My pleasure nuthatch. :)
moray_cottages

Post by moray_cottages »

Visit Ireland have produced a useful document:
https://failtecdn.azureedge.net/failtei ... tering.pdf

And the Association of Scottish self caterers have also produced a document with protocols of cleaning self catering properties which includes a useful risk assessment template and cleaning checklist.

https://www.assc.co.uk/wp-content/uploa ... m-Lets.pdf

The Scottish government will also be publishing specific guidelines this week
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

moray_cottages wrote: And the Association of Scottish self caterers have also produced a document with protocols of cleaning self catering properties which includes a useful risk assessment template and cleaning checklist.

https://www.assc.co.uk/wp-content/uploa ... m-Lets.pdf
I see they say you have to rotate duvets - leave them at least 72hr before putting them back on the bed - or disinfect them. I don't really want to buy another whole set of duvets and find somewhere to store all these bulky items so how do I disinfect them?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Hi Newtimber - I can only suggest you look at labels of cleaning products. This is what they say in the booklet ...

Disinfect using appropriate products and ensuring it is left on the surface for the required time to kill the virus: make sure the product will work on enveloped viruses. Look for EN14675 or EN14476 and follow manufacturers guidelines, some
products can be misted onto soft furnishings.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

My manager has just completed a Clean & Safe training course

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/clean-and-safe
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

SPJ wrote:Hi Newtimber - I can only suggest you look at labels of cleaning products. This is what they say in the booklet ...

Disinfect using appropriate products and ensuring it is left on the surface for the required time to kill the virus: make sure the product will work on enveloped viruses. Look for EN14675 or EN14476 and follow manufacturers guidelines, some
products can be misted onto soft furnishings.
I can understand that if it is something that is only one way up - but for a duvet the mist is not going to get underneath it and you can't exactly prop it up to do both sides.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

I know you say you don't want to have to buy new ones, but would somewhere like Ikea have cheap basic ones that might not last forever, but would give you an easier life? I can't help feeling that we're going to be continuing with life like this for some time.