Holiday cottage in England - summer opening?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
SusanMay

Holiday cottage in England - summer opening?

Post by SusanMay »

Hello,

Just thought I'd check that my reading of the recent Government announcements is right and that English holiday homes will be able to reopen as part of ‘step three’ of the strategy, which will take place no earlier than 4 July? So any bookings before that date definitely shouldn't go ahead.

I have several back to back August bookings and wondering about their feasibility even if they are allowed to open by then, with the need to minimise the risk of infection. I know cleaners can wash linens etc in very hot water and use bleach on hard surfaces but it still leaves all the upholstery, rugs etc and it only seems really safe for visitors AND cleaners if we leave a week between bookings, so guest leaves, 3 day break, cleaner, 3 day break, next guest?

I'm not sure if I should be proactive and try to find out which of my summer guests are still planning to visit and then see what gaps I get, or adopt a wait and see approach at the moment as step 3 may not even happen in early July or things will surely get more clarity. I'm interested in your thoughts... please reply with what you are doing about your summer breaks at the moment.

Thanks
Karen&John

Post by Karen&John »

Hi SusanMay and all looking to open this summer.

We started to think about this, as we had Easter bookings that were only cancelled last minute.
We wrote out a new cleaning schedule to be competed in addition to the normal turnaround job.
It included door handles, taps, light switches etc. etc.

Crockery and cutlery presented a problem as it took me 2 days to do the winter deep clean.
We settled for hot dishwashing one set (6 of each, plates, cups, knifes,forks etc.) and leaving these on the (cleaned) worktop.
Clearly labelled so the new guests would know what was safe for immediate use.

You raise a good point about furnishings.
Bed lined would be laundered and thus not used for 2-3 weeks but would we need to change the mattress and pillow protectors as well?
We could have a duplicate set of lounge cushions - to recycle every 2 weeks.
We will need to find a dissinfectant that will not damage our leather sofas.

What about young children playing on the carpet?
We have a lot of thinking/planning to do.

All ideas welcome.

Best,
J&K
Moonshine

Post by Moonshine »

That’s how I read the government announcements: that guests may be able to come from July 4. And that’s only ‘may’, but I’m planning for that at the moment. I’m making sure I have one week between all bookings. Whatever official advice may or may not transpire, that’s what I consider sensible, for exactly the reasons you say. There’s now another thread about this: viewtopic.php?t=29423
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

Thanks for confirming my reading of the announcement with 4th July as the earliest we can potentially reopen.

Yes, fine for changeover discussion to continue on the other thread...