Home Away changeover fraud

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
klockstone

Home Away changeover fraud

Post by klockstone »

Our cottage has been transferred to my partner's daughter. Over a month ago we paid the yearly fee by direct debit. Yesterday she spoke to HA about changing account ownership. She was told she must open a new account (booking fee only). This she did and WITHOUT AUTHORISATION FROM ME THEY CLOSED OFF WEB SITE ENTRY. This behaviour leaves them open to all sorts of malicious pranks and criminal activity.

She emailed me today saying they needed my permission to transfer reviews across to the new account. I duly called them and went through a simple identity check using a code sent via text and then went through an email exchange to authorise the transfer of reviews.

I enquired about a partial refund to the yearly fee and was told this was not possible as it was over a month since the payment was made. This means they profit when properties change owners using weasel words in their T&Cs.

Meanwhile we've paid £442 for nothing....

Keith Lockstone.
Keith
www.larches-cottage.co.uk

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

The £442 seems unnecessarily harsh but, remember, this is Homeaway who operate a pure "Wild West" business. It doesn't surprise me.

The security weakness that you've exposed does look shocking. So, I can phone them about my competitor's listing, pretending to be the new owner... and Bang: the listing's gone.

Was your partner's daughter asked for any security information at all?
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day